Door Lock Mechanism

Got fed up of trying to fix the central locking on my wife's galaxy - have wasted hours! Gonna start throwing new bits at it - as long as it don't cost as much as the car's worth!

Problem was that the key started to get stiff in the drivers door then the central locking started playing up. Have already fixed the wires that lead thru to the door - have checked again and can't see any problems. Anyhow - with the central locking mechanism disconnected on the drivers door the central locking using the key fob will work all the other doors. We then have to lock the drivers door manually.

However the key fob is a bit fussy and my wife is getting fed up of standing next to the car in the rain trying to get the doors to lock. With the wires to the drivers door lock disconnected it seems that you cannot activate the locking from the passenger side using the key in the door any more.

Have tried a few ebayers to see if I can't get another lock mechanism - but they might be bust or older than ours (1999). So I may have to resort to trying a new lock mechanism - anybody know how much they are?

Any other ideas welcome

Steve

I had a problem with my central locking the other day too. I took my door card off to put a wing mirror on. I took the central locking lead out of the lock and did the mirror. When i put it back my central locking didn't work. I could lock 3 doors but the drivers door wouldn't lock. What i did was to open the passenger door and whilst it was open i locked them and leaned over to lock the drivers door from the inside manually. Then open the doors with the key fob. They all open and have worked perfectly since.

If the key starts to stick in any of the barrels then it's likely the 'paddle' which connects the barrel to the lock mechanism is starting to fail (very small parts made of pig iron) when this happens the contacts in the mechanism can stick, sending a constant close/open signal to the c/l module (a constant open signal activates the global open, very easy to detect).

The remedy is a new repair kit from VW (ford will try and sell you a whole barrel which means seperate keys for door and ignition) iirc about 4 quid. very easy to fix once door card is off and has been covered b4 and is in Haynes manual.

Thanks - I did do a search before posting about this problem and came across that and even had a look on ebay at the repair parts for the "paddle". If the paddle is failing / broken then would'nt I have trouble locking the offending door using the key?? Operation of the door seems fine with the central locking disconnected.

Thanks

Steve

Ah - sorry Steve I assumed that with a stiff lock the 'paddle' would be the culprit, have you tried disconnecting the 2 wire multi-plug whilst leaving the main plug connected? it may be that the c/l module won't lock car if it doesn't sense the state of drivers door, when locking from boot or passenger door. A slightly possible cause maybe the door ajar switch.

Price from fords for a new lock mechanism is about 41 quid, for the motor unit another 98.

Edited by MadBaz

Got your PM - thanks.

Are there many different types of locks / motors on the mark 1 galaxy? You say pull the two wire connector off - I've got a small connector with three wires sthat connects to the lock as well as one with six wires. This seems to tie with the haynes manual. the three wire connector is the door lock switch and the the other is for the motor??

IIRC today when messing around I did forget to connect the switch - don't remember the locking working.

It is strange that I can't use the passenger door lock to manually operate the c/locking - wonder if some wires on that side have busted?

I'll have to check - outside with a torch I go!!

Cheers

Steve

Steve your right its the 3 wire connecter, I forgot about the ground wire..oops, the door lock mech can be bought and fitted seperately from the motor assembly, its a bit fiddly to seperate and reassemble, iirc there is a slide which has to be in correct position when reassembling any probs give us a shout.

• 15 years later...