Ahu Engine Noise

Dropped off all belts today and I found the problem! - knackered water pump :rolleyes: rough as a bears arse....

Considering quotes (change pump+thermostat+coolant) VW dealer

Am really surprised your not doing this yourself and save even more money? :unsure:

Severe back problems and old age (loosing my self confidence) are main reason. I'm already a bag of nerves that VW have f***ked something up (like my a/c).

Booked into independent in 2.5 weeks time. <_<

Am really surprised your not doing this yourself and save even more money? :unsure:

Severe back problems and old age (loosing my self confidence) are main reason. I'm already a bag of nerves that VW have f***ked something up (like my a/c).

Booked into independent in 2.5 weeks time. <_<

seatkid what part of uk are you in

i did my thermostat and changed the sump gasket in about 4/1/2 hours all that would be extra to fitting a pump is the ring of pump bolts and a gasket

<_< The saga goes on....."I've seen this all before, will I never learn?"

Picked up the car, with highly apologetic VW service manager, who said that in hindsight, they should have just got on with the job, they are out of pocket, bla, blah. Yeah, I said, so do you want the job (at

Get home - inspect - <_< Bent sills!!!! How the f**k can a VW dealer do that??? Are they all incompetent? So, phone them up and they are going to look at it Thursday.

That is terrible SK. I'd like to be a fly on the wall next Thursday though....

Hope you get a good result. Extremely frustrating to pay main dealer (costs a lot because of all the special kit and training mate) prices and then get results like that. After various experiences at the likes of kwik fit , it's getting to the point where if I had work done, I might be tempted to take photos of the car with that day's newspaper before I handed it over. ....

:) :40: :angry2: :angry2: :angry2: They wont take responsibility for the sill damage claiming it is impossible to inflict such damage with their gear. I escalated it to the branch manager (dealer principle is swanning off somewhere warm I expect), who was neither use nor ornament. He made my skin crawl with his lack of customer service skills. They gave me the runaround, even jacking up the car to show me and totally ignoring me with my comment of "yeah, what if the pads werent wound up properly?" or "why is this fresh metal I see before me?"

Then, as I started the car, the CC started flashing indicating a fault. Went back in, they faffed about with the "master tech" for 10 minutes, came back out and said its perfectly normal, "its just the delay before the cc clutch pulls in, sir, look its alright now...".

:5: I said no.

They said yes

I said no

They said yes

you get the picture......

In the end I gave up as I cannot stand being grandstanded by a bunch of muppets.

Never ever take your car to a VW dealer for major repair any work. . This dealer was Hayseldens of Doncaster. I've had problems there before (I'm a slow learner).

The loss will ultimately be theirs, I will repair my car myself and any possibilty of a new car purchase or other work there is banned forever, and I encourage you all to do the same

:18:

i won't go near the place either i only live 3 miles from there pm me if you want to ring me to talk about it put it all in writing to vag hq copy of letter to dp and free press etc i did say dealer monkeys i wish you would have called me before

regards Ross the octo

i won't go near the place either i only live 3 miles from there pm me if you want to ring me to talk about it put it all in writing to vag hq copy of letter to dp and free press etc i did say dealer monkeys i wish you would have called me before

regards Ross the octo

Wow, how about that eh?

I'm too stressed out at the moment to do anything positive, my medication ran out yesterday and I forgot to order a repeat, so probably will crack open the cognac instead.

On a positive note, the new water pump cured the noise, it was shagged, now nice and sweet. And the gauge goes back up to mid way again. Interestingly I retained the thermostat which looks like new and is closed fully shut, though thats no guarantee that its not opening early.

Its pissing down with rain today, and my garage has the old fabia inside with door cards removed, waiting for me to seal the leaky door carriers (design fault). So poor old Miss Alhambra sitting in the pouring rain, with no undertray and sills lips a-rusting, will have to wait for a sunny day, for plan B - oil service, take her for an a/c regas and straighten sill lips, repaint,reseal and refit undertray.

Otto: For a/c regas...Any experience of Motortek(£35) or Formula One(£45) on Wheatley Hall Road? Kwik fit in Balby are good, unlike the one on Wheatley Hall Road.(£50)?

Note to self: stop believing everything people tell you..........DON'T give them the benefit of the doubt!

Edited by seatkid

motortek are ok he used to own the garage on the bottom of barnsly road on same side as sun in loves jag and yanks

kwik fit balby go in see staff off £20 cash for the coffee fund then they umm and arr and say £25 ok thats was a couple of years ago though told you mp me a phome no for a natter pills i have loads of them take about 20 a day but such is life

no idea on them Formula One(£45)

bet most of them tell you we cant find the high pressure side fill you should know where it is ???

motortek are ok he used to own the garage on the bottom of barnsly road on same side as sun in loves jag and yanks

kwik fit balby go in see staff ask them offer £20 cash for the coffee fund then they umm and arr and say £25 ok thats was a couple of years ago though told you pm me a phone no for a natter

pills i have loads of them take about 20 a day but such is life

no idea on them Formula One (£45)

bet most of them tell you we cant find the high pressure side fill you should know where it is ???

as said pm me a no or text me on 07760731923 and i will get back to you regards Ross the octo

Hi Seatkid. It's been a while since I've been on here so it's a bit of a shock to find you've been in the wars with dealers. The problem with the sills is a right sickener. Mine were done in the early days, about 6 months after I got the current Gal. (2005) but It wasn't too bad and they were otherwise a good bunch compared to our Ford dealer who seemed to think that it was OK to sell a Gal with 70K and it's original cam belt. Unfortunately, about a year ago I went down a 9" step in a car park in pitch dark while turning blind and did more damage to the sills so I paid a few hundred to get them done along with some work on the front end which was showing signs of it's 140K. 2 days later I took it into the garage for an oil change and it came back with the sills crushed flat. Bad enough but not as bad as seeing it done to a motor you've had from new.

I'd be very wary about strange noises. Have a Sharan Mk1 AHU with (now) 88k miles on the clock. Gently coasting down an incline at about 40mph in gear a couple of months ago - suddenly got strange noise from the engine. A sort-of knock but not quite.....

A few days later engine cut out, and when I tried to restart got a heavy 'thunp' on each rev, but wouldn't run.

Thought cam belt might have jumped a tooth. Checked marks on cams with mark on flywheel, and sure enough was one tooth out. BUT when I took the belt off and eased the crankshaft back a tooth at the belt end........ the flywheel mark didn't move.

Belt hadn't jumped at all. Crank had broken, and judging bu the smoothly worn break (between second big end journal and the balance weight) had been broken for a long time. Had only stayed in contact due to nicely tight (closely-fitting) thrust washers.

And this on a very carefully run engine with only gentle use and motorway cruising at about 55-60mph.

VW said they'd never seen one break.....??

Chris

Don't normally read through diesel engine threads, but just read through this saga... trying to bump up the price after starting the job is bad enough, but the crushed sills is a real sickener, and from a main dealer too. Appalling!

From your post above, I guess they are refusing to accept liability for the sill damage or aircon fault? Grrrr!

Edited by sparky Paul

kwik fit balby go in see staff ask them offer £20 cash for the coffee fund then they umm and arr and say £25 ok thats was a couple of years ago though told you pm me a phone no for a natter

pills i have loads of them take about 20 a day but such is life

no idea on them Formula One (£45)

as said pm me a no Ross the octo

any updates on the problem seatkid now you have had time to think about it

• 3 weeks later...

I refrained from posting further on this topic as after a period of depression and meditation ;) , I wrote a letter to Mark Hayselden, the principal responsible for Hayselden Doncaster, listing my complaints about the service I received there. i.e. bent sills, fault on cc which occurred during their tenure (the service manager assured me several times before the work was done that any problems that occurred as a result of their care would be fixed - huh). I also mentioned the technician in his mucky work clothes driving my car without any protection cover on the velour seats, and his attitude (grunt and shrug of the shoulders when I pointed it out to him.) :blush:

I didnt mention the dink in the rear nearside wing, probably from their overcrowded and ridiculously spaced car park, or the strange coincidence of the service indicator coming on during their stay (it might have been a coincidence).

Some time has passed, and I have received no reply, no phone call, nothing. Make your own conclusion.......

Because of the weather, I havent reworked my sills yet, just applied liberal protective spray on wax (from toolstation - highly recommended).

I have fixed the cc problem myself, I'll raise another topic on this as its quite interesting.

Edited by seatkid