Rust

Guest TAB

Guest TAB

I have a 3 year old Focus Estate. As a Ghia it has a chrome tailgate strip. This appears to be making contact with the paintwork everytime it is pressed to shut the boot lid because there is already rust on the contact points under the paintwork. Its disappointing to say the least. My local dealer said this is a common Ghia problem as the strip making contact with the paintwork causes the paintwork to breakdown and the car starts to rust. This sounds like a manufacturing fault to me but Ford are refusing to acknowledge any responsibility due to the age of the car. I would be interested in hearing whether this is a common Ghia fault and if anyone has successfully made a claim against Fords. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest EVSS

father in law bought 3 year old 1.8 zetec 2 weeks ago and dismally the only spot of rust was on the tailgate under the plastic trim (chrome on ghia)... now weve just bought a x (2000) ghia 2 litre and no rust on that... strange. gary

• 9 months later...

Have same problem on a V reg also number plate lights fell apart and shorted on metal and took F32 10 amp fuse under dash fuse box strange that the Number plate lights don't have a seperate fuse like the Front and rear tail lights have off F32 (F47 and F48 7.5 amp fuse) so will put one in when I sort problem

So when I replace light units I will take chrome unit off and clean up paintwork, it is the only place that the car is rusting and very poor for Fords as they had a poor reputation of rust boxes on cars in the 70' and 80'.

Regards John

• 2 years later...

Hi, just bought a 53 plate (January 2004) Focus 1.8 Ghia (hatch) and also noticed the rust near the chrome strip. Will look into this and see if there's some sort of warrenty going which will cover this. I had a 10 year old Astra before this and no rust at all on that one, in fact this is one of the youngest cars I've owned and the only one with rust!!

Will keep you posted if I make any progress.

Bas