Computer Not Booting.

Saif Rehman

Hi,

I wonder if there would be someone here kind enough to help me with my pc.

I have a Packard Bell iExtreme 9053, S/N 023741020056 which i have had since brand new (approx 2002) whilst i was working at PC World - top of the range at the time.

My problem is that if i try switching the computer on, the amber light comes, fans for the cpu on, agp graphic card fan on, power supply fan on and also an exhaust fan which i have connected to a spare slot comes on but fails to boot up. This can take anything from 30 minutes to upto 2 hours - and taking longer everyday! Once up and running everything is fine - bar the noise from the fans!

The motherboard that is fitted to this machine is Columbia II (GA-8SIML) Ver 1.0

oh dear, sounds familiar.this happened to my PC, and the end result is that it totally died, hence a new one was built for me not so long ago.All that ended up working on mine was the fans and an amber light on.Motherboard,processor and everything else went tits up.

Oh dear! :wub:

I drop it off at my brothers friend who owns a computer repair shop and see what he can do.

P.S. This has been some week: firstly, problems with my leaking roof and getting ripped off by 3 cowboy builders all telling me its leaking from different places, then my 1 year old daughter decided i needed a new mobile, so drops it at ASDA's, well flings it 30 feet away! Then my desktop computer packs in, then my pilot light on my GCH wouldn't light (now sorted) Car needs a service and to top it all off, haven't been working for the past year!

Never mind, start new job on Mon 21/02/08, only thing is, commuting into Edinburgh town centre, starting at 8 meaning leaving house at 6! Yippee.

(Need to buy a helicopter or a cheap run-around)

Oh dear! :wub:

I drop it off at my brothers friend who owns a computer repair shop and see what he can do.

P.S. This has been some week: firstly, problems with my leaking roof and getting ripped off by 3 cowboy builders all telling me its leaking from different places, then my 1 year old daughter decided i needed a new mobile, so drops it at ASDA's, well flings it 30 feet away! Then my desktop computer packs in, then my pilot light on my GCH wouldn't light (now sorted) Car needs a service and to top it all off, haven't been working for the past year!

Never mind, start new job on Mon 21/02/08, only thing is, commuting into Edinburgh town centre, starting at 8 meaning leaving house at 6! Yippee.

(Need to buy a helicopter or a cheap run-around)

Awwww..aint 1 yr olds great fun :lol:

you could service the car yourself.

Pilot lights, i used to hate the one i had in the last house as everything was just a few mm out and it would take an age to light.

Congrats on the job and i hope that it goes well for you.And i dont envy you working in Edinburgh town centre!..its manic there.

Hope you get the pc sorted...but i do think its about cooked.My old one id had since 2002,

Thanks mum,

January, expensive month:!!!!!!!

1st child's (boy) birthday is on the 15th January

2nd child's (boy) is on the 17th January

3rd child's (girl) is in March - Phew!!!!

4th child (girl) was 2 days ago (11th January) 1 yr old!!!

So having 3 kids in January, those with a little knowledge can work out that i get sex once a year in March :D ;) :D

Number 3 child - must have got a bonus :lol:

Well anyway, i love them to bits but getting of track here with my problems with the PC.

Don't want to risk getting the car buggered if i service it myself then go running to a mechanic plus i don't have the right tools just the basics - i did drop a hint to 'beyondhelp?' but he hasn't responded. :wub:

have you tried starting the machine then press F6(i think)then start in safe mode,then do a restore to another time when the computer was running ok,it might be something youve downloaded thats made the comp freeze,had this the other day same thing as urs and i managed to sort mine out,hope u can.

blimey saif,thought i was bad in having a birthday on the 23rd dec and then another 1 today :wub:

Thanks guys for all your advice and help, tonight i dropped the computer off at my brothers friends house who owns a very sucessfull computer repair shop. I told him what happened and straight away he said either motherboard or CPU were the culprit, but it couldn't be the CPU because i told him that when the computer did boot up after say 30 minutes everything was fine. He then said motherboard - the night before i took the case side panel off and had a quick look inside and noticed a couple of capacitors showing signs of leakage (rust like fluid and slight bulges). A few minutes research on the internet confirmed that indeed this particular brand of motherboards were prone to this kind of damage.

So hopefully just needs a motherboard and him being my two younger brothers friend, he wont charge me a fortune! :wacko: But him being so busy i won't see the computer for over a week!

Will keep you guys updated just in case anyone else gets this problem.

EDIT: Kev just seen your post whilst writing this one - You are indeed correct my man - my birthday is in June which if my brain works is exactly 9 months, it's even down to the day!!! <_<

Edited by Saif Rehman