Dual Mass Flywheel 1.9tdi 130

widu13

Got mine back yet again yesterday after nearly 7 weeks of it being worked on since the flywheel failed.

They have now replaced the flywheel + clutch (as per the recall), MAF, MAP, reprogrammed ECU, Turbo, turbo pipes, and this time the engine mounts top and bottom to try and overcome the vibration coming from the engine.

It still isn'nt right as there is still more vibration than there should be but far less than before the mounts were replaced. It now feels as though the vibration is being 'contained' in the engine as opposed to being transferred to the car body if that makes sense. The steering wheel is also no longer straight and the gear box feels notchy at times.

Its going back again next week to see what they can try and replace this time. I keep suggesting the engine, but they are not taking the hint! Problem is that I am now out of warranty and they are not as willing, despite the fault occuring prior to the expiry on 10 May.

Any ideas what else could be wrong? It just feels as though the engine is slightly 'out of balance'.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick question regarding the TDi130 recall.

Does anyone know why the Ford recall involved cahnging the DMF and the clutch assembly, but the VW one only involved changing the DMF. Aren't these the same engine and clutch assembly?

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

I guess from whats being said here, that a TDi 115BHP isn't covered by the recall

I currently have a 115BHP Ghia first Reg'd 02/12/2002 & built 25/10/2002.

Does anyone have any offical info stating that its just the 130BHP, as they both use the same flywheel?

I do not want to lose it to a fire cause by a failure which is part of a recall

Guest Galaxy03ww

:D

Our perfect Galaxy went in to the local dealer about 6 weeks ago for the clutch/dual mass flywheel recall replacement. Didn't seem very aware of the recall and needed a 3 week lead in time, plus no courtesy car!!

Vehicle was collected from place of work at aprox 9.45 am and returned there at 4pm (garage is about 10 mins drive away).

Gradually we noticed a 'wobble' at around 35 - 45 mph, through the lower gears. Vehicle went in for MOT and both gaiters have split. Gone back in to Ford today (needed another couple of weeks lead in time to book it in) for examination. They now claim to have noticed the split gaiters previously but didn't mention it to us.

Seems like we could be in for some fun & games!!

I guess from whats being said here, that a TDi 115BHP isn't covered by the recall

I currently have a 115BHP Ghia first Reg'd 02/12/2002 & currently have a failed DMF.

Does anyone have any offical info stating that its just the 130BHP, as they both use the same flywheel or is it worth contact the local stealer to see if they will honour the recall?

VOSA.gov.uk

• 4 weeks later...

Still waiting for the parts to come for mine?

Had mine booked in 6 weeks ago, dealer cancelled the appointment because 'they were waiting for the parts'.

They now say that Ford's can't tell them when they'll be available so I phoned Ford customer so-called-service. They were very nice and explained very politely that many other people were in the same position and that there was nothing they could do and the dealer probably had more information on parts availability than they did!

Oh, and if it breaks down when I'm on holiday in France in a couple of weeks I should get it repaired over there and Ford GB will "consider contributing towards the cost"

What use is that?

Guest italiastar33

This all seems odd - My dealer SEAT had the parts in stock and did it (including the service) in about 6 hours - I have no reason to believe that they didn't do it, as they tried to charge me

Guest Galaxy03ww

This all seems odd - My dealer SEAT had the parts in stock and did it (including the service) in about 6 hours - I have no reason to believe that they didn't do it, as they tried to charge me

Unfortunately mine is a 115 and my flywheel has seized, so the garage tells me. Stealer checked with Ford and the definitely aren't covered by the recall. Somehow it IS a different flywheel.

Answers on a postcard...

They've still got mine in the workshop....new flywheel, new N/S CV joint, engine out, engine in, recharge aircon, empty bank account...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Still waiting for the parts to come for mine?

Had mine booked in 6 weeks ago, dealer cancelled the appointment because 'they were waiting for the parts'.

They now say that Ford's can't tell them when they'll be available so I phoned Ford customer so-called-service. They were very nice and explained very politely that many other people were in the same position and that there was nothing they could do and the dealer probably had more information on parts availability than they did!

Oh, and if it breaks down when I'm on holiday in France in a couple of weeks I should get it repaired over there and Ford GB will "consider contributing towards the cost"

What use is that?

OK, so at the beginning of September (four months after getting the recall notice) it went in for what Lifestyle Ford @ Redhill said should only take one day. Of course it took two days and when I got it home found the following;

1. O/S driveshaft gaitor torn and spraying grease everywhere!

2. Plastic battery tray split and one fixing bolt missing.

3. Cables and hoses not clipped back in place.

4. They went to the trouble of resetting the radio presets but couldn't be bothered with the clock!

5. Clutch hydraulic pipe leaking at the slave cylinder connection.

6. Bolts missing from the engine undertray.

7. N/S wing and bumper scratched where they dropped the engine support bracket.

8. Sound unsulation pads missing from the ends of the bulkhead extension.

So I called a friend who works for Ford, and eventually I was asked to bring the car to Lifestyle's Horsham branch where it was inspected and my observations found to be correct.

They arranged to get the parts in and carried out the rectification work a week later. They did say it would take two days because of the paint job but it actually took three, they said they found an internal leak in the steering rack which Fords very kindly agreed to replace FOC.

So it turned out OK in the end but loads of hassle and what chance would I have had if I didn't have that friend who works for Ford?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Good enough reason for never considering a car with a dual mass flywheel! In my opinion, a flywheel should last the lifetime of the car, dual mass or not.

VW seem to be getting worse and worse.

• 1 year later...

My B****** Galaxy was manufactured the WEEK, yes the WEEK before it would've fallen into the category for recall. Is it possible that Fraud might have manufactured mine with said faulty part? They have all said, and this includes VOSA that there is no way our car could possibly be fitted with a DMF from the new batch that have needed replacement.

Granted they have brought out a Kit for this problem, but I don't want to have to pay through the nose if I don't have to.........so is there any way I can prove that the DMF is from the faulty lot?

maybe theres a code number on yours somewhere,you could try asking ford for the faulty batch codes to see if yours is included but i dont rate your chances of them giving out the info.

• 5 weeks later...
I spoke to Ford Customer Relations today and although they had heard of this recall it was confirmed this was not applicable to mine.

Bugger.

anyone help my galaxy was built 01/09/2003 one day after the recall, all the probs but zero help from ford

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
all the duel mass flywhhels on the galaxy should be recalled. loads on here seem to have failing dmf. looks like mine could be failing too, 2005 1.9tdi

Ian you have a 2005 1.9 TDi zetec. Is this the asz engine ie the VAG TD pump deus under fords engine badge ?

The reason I ask is that I had my turbo take out my engine in my alhambra and the replacement engine is from a 55 plate galaxy !

This leads to an interesting dilema on the dual mass issue for me !

are the PD130's on a 55plate included ? or do I follow the rational that the alhambra 2003 flywheel is what I should be looking at !

any ideas anyone ?

Cheers,

Matt

Edited by matt1e

• 3 years later...

Sorry to drag up an old thread. I recently bought a 53 plate TDI 130 and there is a recall certificate for this recall. Does this mean the dmf was definitely changed, or did they do some kind of inspection before making a decision as to whether they need to change the dmf?