40k + Cambelt Competition

Guest blatters

Guest blatters

Just for fun.

My Galaxy goes in for its 40,000 mile service and cambelt change tomorrow (Tuesday, 27th September). I'm not aware of anything else that's wrong with it.

Soooooooooooo, how much do you reckon then :D

Will my family be able to eat this month or go hungry?

I will post the result no later than Wednesday (I have a life on Tuesday evenings) and the nearest guess wins!

Blatters.

PS. Got 692mls from my last tank of diesel :D

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest vr6galaxy

oooh! seems like a few people tonight have forgot to take their happy pills! :lol: chill children it's not a life and death situation! step back from the key boards and breath deeply :D just think it could be worse you could drive a za............ :D

DelboyT

As Blatters post starts with "Just for fun"...then take my replies as fun "M8" !!!

I quoted my guess................ as I have just had a price on that particular job.

Now this bizness about wanting to win !!!???!!! and throwing rattles.........whats the prize...some of those magic mega mpg plugs and leads that you fitted to your car!!

Oh yeah I forgot something

P**S OFF.

Guest blatters

COMPETITION INTERIM RESULT

OK, something very weird here.............

The dealer says that the cambelt doesn't need changing until 60,000 miles. But my service book says 40,000 miles.

The receptionist was suprised when I booked the car in initially. She said then that the cambelt was 60,000 and not 40,000 but said she would ask the mechanics.

When my wife picked up the car on Tuesday the receptionist showed her 'a book' that stated 60,000 miles.

The result is a standard annual service for

Afaik, it was oribginally 60k, but been reduced to 40k across the board as a result of some failures under warranty.....

40k is now the official line, and coincidentally if you print out a service schedule from the TIS is shows 40k intervals...

So if your belt snaps before the next service will your dealer cover the cost of repairs??

Mike

:D Oh no !!!! I so so so wanted to win that competition......my rattle is well and truley thrown ...NOT :D .

..but seriously......when I was booking my car in for a cambelt change at 40k at my local independent VW/Audi garage.....the manager there reffered to a book he had regarding the 40k cambelt change. In conclusion he said that year manufacture 2000 to 2002 definitely recommend 40k change. So I dont know if they have modified the tensioners and rollers after so many failures !!!!Dont rely on the muppets at Fraud to be able to give this information...try VW instead....the lesser of two evils !!!!!!

Guest blatters

OK, it's 40,000 miles for the cambelt change

My dealer has just emailed to say they made a mistake and they wrongly quoted 60,000 miles.

So my Galaxy will be back in soon and we'll have an update on the total cost for the final round of the competition.

If anyone has any thoughts on this I'm happy to receive them. I'll not bother saying how I feel - you should be able to guess that.

:unsure:

Blatters

now what would happen if you took there word,and a week later the belt snapped where would you stand in getting the dealer to pay,coz as we know they are the eggsperts arnt they? :unsure:

Dealers know absolutely diddly squat about the Galaxy. They have always insisted that mine should have normal oil, they insisted it was 60,000 miles for cambelt change, they insisted it was OK to lift it on the sills, they insisted it took 5 litres of oil, etc etc.......NEVER EVER believe anything they tell you, always double check first. How can they get away with being sooooo useless? :huh: Its just a good job I ignored all the above things and got it done correctly else where. Usually DIY.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest blatters

OK Galaxy goes in for its cambelt change on Monday, 17th October. To be fair to the dealer, they have been deeply apologetic, have explained that it was their fault and that they are contacting their other Ford TDi owners as we speak to call them in for the cambelt change at 40k.

My dealer also wishes to acknowledge the combined knowledge of 'me & my friends' on this web site who, they say, often find out about things faster than Ford tell them. Apparently, there is a daily update that comes from Ford and, on the day the change from 40k to 60k came through, it appeared as a small line at the bottom of the print-out. And they missed it.

The dealer stated that they would have been responsible for the cost of a cambelt failure - well, we'll never know but, in my case, I was impressed by the genuine apology.

A lesson here to check that service book and also keep in touch on this site!

Blatters.

i wonder if the more dealers hear about this forum then they might relize that if you can afford to have your car serviced by them and they screw up that they will named and shamed or will they keep taking the rise out of people,it would be great to think that the power of a forum could make them buckle.

regards gregers

Guest blatters

OK, here is an update as at 17th October.

Dealer has changed the timing belt and the cars back. Not sure about the bill. The receptionist on the service desk has been top-drawer and explained that the last thing they want is a disillusioned customer.

The bill was not available today - perhaps they're not charging for this work or maybe they are going to discount? Anyway, it appears that it's the decision of the Service Department Manager so I guess they'll let me know later in the week.

Overall and so far, my Ford dealer seems to be going out of their way to make up for the earlier error and alloy wheel damage.

I'll keep you boys informed.

Just out of interest, did any of you guys say that, when the timing belt is changed, another belt / pully of some description also needs changing? Let me know just so I'm aware of these things - it's just that I kinda see this site as my first port of call for technical stuff so I can keep my dealer up to date :rolleyes:

Blatters