Child Seats/ 3 Point Belts!

Guest Titan

Guest Titan

Hello one and all!!,

I'm in a bit of a dilema!, I have a 1.9 tdi 2000 X plate galaxy zetec, 6 speed!. the only problem i have an issue with from a safety point of view is the row of three seats in the back!, the middle one has only the lap belt!, I'm aware that ford do do chairs with 3 point belts but was wondering whether anyone knows if you can replace the lap belts chairs for a three point system!!, The reason I ask is that my wife is a child minder and on ocassions when she has a full car she often puts a child seat restrained in the middle seat which is otherwise left unused!.

You are albe to get a proper child type seat system from ford but at a hefty cost!, was wondering if anyone knew of anywhere that has these three point systems or the baby type seats at a cheaper price? grasping at straws I'm sure but can't for the life of me find anyone other than ford who do these type of replacements. I thank you for your time

TVMIA

Titan

My Gal is also X-plate, facelifted with only lap belt in the middle. There was a possibility of fitting the special belt made by IIRC www.securon.co.uk if a mounting plate is made up, but other than that, I drew a blank and try to keep this seat empty.

• 2 months later...
Guest andeee

This may be a bit late but I bought a brand new adult/ child seat from vw audi breakers at Melksham in Wiltshire. They had about 70 of them last December from Sharan Disabilty conversions. I paid

• 2 years later...

The 3-point belt on the later models is mounted in the headlining, whereas I assume the lap-belt on the older models is integrated into the centre seat. If so, simply moving one of the other seats into the middle wouldn't work because there would be no seatbelt at all!

The 3-point belt on the later models is mounted in the headlining, whereas I assume the lap-belt on the older models is integrated into the centre seat. If so, simply moving one of the other seats into the middle wouldn't work because there would be no seatbelt at all!

Sorry i should have made myself a little more clearer. I have 2 integrated child seats with the 5 point harnesses. If i was to purchase a 3rd integrated child seat to put in the middle and use it with its 5 point harness there is no need for a seperate seat belt, lap belt or otherwise. Is this doable, are do they remain r/h l/h specific and will not be able to fit in the middle? Obviously it will not ba able to be used as anythign else other than a child seat with a 5 point harness, but just wondered if it would fit in and if so is it better to buy the r/h or l/h one to sit in that position?

All seats will fit in any position in the car as the fixings and floor mountings are all the same. Therefore, what cjb suggests would be possible but the centre seat could only be used as a child seat.

The reason for labels on the seats stating where they should go is the position of the seat belt socket. For example, if a LH seat is put on the RHS, the seat belt socket would also be on the RHS and you couldn't put the seat belt on properly.

Also, on later models, only a centre seat can go in the centre. This is because it has seat belt sockets on both sides to accomodate the 3-point belt. So, in summary, the centre seat could safely occupy any position but LH and RH seats must remain on the LH and RH sides to retain safe seatbelt use.

I know that in the gal i had..the centre seat had to stay there as it only had the lap belt..if what you say is right..then any seat he gets would fit in the middle like you said.

He is a she and she is called Cath, but i am pleased i come across as a bloke in a weird kind of way. ;)

I know that in the gal i had..the centre seat had to stay there as it only had the lap belt..if what you say is right..then any seat he gets would fit in the middle like you said.

Depending on which side the lap belt was fed from, you could have moved the centre seat somewhere else, e.g. if the belt was fed from the right and plugged into the left, then the centre seat could have occupied a position on the RH side. In this case, you'd have the option of using either the lap belt or 3-point belt (I'd choose the latter ;) ) but why you would want to do it if you have a perfectly good RH seat anyway is another question!

• 11 months later...

Hi I am new to this forum but would like to add my pence worth. I have a Galaxy Zetec, and it has the lap belt in the middle seat. I have just brought a five point car seat that takes a lap belt to secure it from Toys R US. I have 4 kids, so this is ideal for my 2 year old. ;)

• 5 weeks later...

Hi All, Anyone got any update on this matter? My youngest will soon be too big for the child seat which currently occupies the middle seat with lap strap only. My wife is not at all happy with her sitting in the seat with just the lap strap. The short term solution is that she sits in the rear but effectively we have gone from a 7 to a 6 seater i we can't use the middle seat. Does anyone know if Ford offer a conversion? The web address mentioned above just exists as a 'holding' page.

Thanks in advance for any help here.

R

• 4 years later...

Anyone converted a LAP BELT into a 3-POINT BELT?

I have a 1998 S reg Seat Alhambra 1.9 TDi (Mk1 model) and as many will know the early models have only a lap belt for the middle seat in the second row for rear passengers. I have 3 kids who I wish to put in the second row, however at the moment they sit in other seats in 3x3 belts.

I know the newer models have 3x3 where the pillar loop is roof mounted. However has anyone with an early MK1 model managed to convert their lap belt into a 3x3 seat belt - in the actual seat?

Ideally I would like be be able to have the pillar loop mounted at the top of the chair itself and not welded / mounted to the roof. (would it be strong enough anyway and the lining would have to be torn right?)

What I mean is something like a Ford Mondeo where the pillar loop is in the upper part of the chair itself.

Has anyone had this coversion done?

If so where did you do it?

What companies can do it for me? The only one I have found so far is QuickFit in Stanmore, London area

http://www.quickfits.../contact_us.php

Edited by Geege