Auto Dipping Rear Veiw Mirror

Guest nimrod

Guest nimrod

Well it was sitting there stuck on the screen of an Alhambra that had seen far better days <_< the top of the clock binicle was touching the steering wheel and the gear stick was behind the front seats! :( ouch! and I thought that would look nice on my Galaxy :( only problem is anyone know how to wire it up? cant find it on the TIS or in the Haynes wiring diagrams

its only four wires but I dont want to blow it up before I get to use it :(

Having only done it last week, here is what you need to do as on a facelifted galaxy. Do check the wires as they may differ on the car year.

Although according to Ford the wiring exists above the light unit where the digital clock used to be, it did not on mine, so you will need to lower the front of the headlining.

The mirror has six wires to it:

Pin1: (White wire) A switched positive from the ignition to provide power

Pin2: (Black wire) Ground

Pin3: (Grey wire) Positive from reversing lights switch (reverse relay in auto)

Pin4: (yellow wire) To external auto dimming mirror (not used)

Pin5: (brown wire) To external auto dimming mirror (not used)

Pin6: (green wire) Interior lighting (ground switched see below)

You could get away with Pins 1 & 2 only but lose some of the features.

Pin3 is used so that when you engage reverse gear the mirror is not dimmed

Pin6 connects to the interior light so that when it is on the mirror is not dimmed. This connection is best made to the unused Pin1 (or white wire if wired) on the roof light plug as this pin is connected with two diodes to the bulbs in the interior light, so whichever one is on, the mirror does not dim. A small spade connector can be pushed into the missing pin on the socket. If the lamp is older and only has the three pins, permanent live, ground and switched ground (doors etc), you will need to connect pin 6 to the switched earth (brown/white).

I doubt you have auto dimming external mirrors so pins 3 and 4 are not needed.

Finding the reversing light wire is a bugger. I found mine on the back of the second level automatic gearbox relay behind the fuses on a blue/black wire.

As you will probably not have a suitable plug, I suggest you do what I did. Removed the pins from the mirror plug. They are nice long thin pins which you can then push into the ends of the wires you have provided, then insulate them with rubber sleeves or tape.

The mirror does not have quite the field of view of the manual mirror and takes a few seconds to change. They are around the

Guest nimrod

Ok, found the wiring diagram I need but that doesnt really help much <_< arent the diagrams on the TIS a bitch to read! all the clicking on the extra bits that open up new diagrams that mean even more options to click which opens ups another diagram with even more options that .................... you get the idea :(

there are four wires

blue/red wire is linked into the reverseing lights

white/brown goes to the interior lights where exactly I havent sussed yet :(

brown wire goes to earth/0volts

black/white is the switched feed off the sunroof supply

sounds easy enough :( but it will have to wait to be fitted as my suspension package turns up tommorrow :D

Guest nimrod

Cheers for that <_< I did my above reply off line as the Mrs needed the phone :( the mirrors on the Alhambra I removed it from were powered folding and dipping! only problem was they were wrecked :( and not worth having

out of interest how much is the mirror new or did you find yours in a breakers?

oops just saw the

Edited by nimrod

Guest nimrod
Having only done it last week, here is what you need to do as on a facelifted galaxy. Do check the wires as they may differ on the car year.

Mines a pre face lifted model, but I'm sure I can persuade it to fit and work :)

Guest Andyjflet

Hey Matt, not far from where I used to Live in Stony Stratford, I am now near Kettering on the Northampton side, there is a huge breakers off the A14 at I think junction 7 ??

Andrew

Guest nimrod

I'm not saying till I have got all the good bits for myself :)

there is a complete set of sun visors with the illuminated vanity mirrors, in imaculate condition :) as well as the dark rear light panel off a Sharan :D

Guest nimrod

Well its fitted and seems to be working? it dips rather quick! a lot quicker than my neighbours one in his car!

MR T, cheers for the help with the wiring/connections it went in a treat :ph34r: being a manual I had to pick up the feed for the reverseing lights in the cable loom near the drivers door but everything else was picked up off the interior light or sun roof switches