Mpg's

MadBaz

EGR is used to reduce NOx, which would otherwise kill people through smog and other reactive by-products.

Not a bad idea IMO. :lol: The EGR would not be active during an MOT test - it only happens at speed under moderate load.

However I agree there must be better ways to clean up the exhaust, why don't they try water injection? (direct into combustion chamber)

I stand corrected!

I was nearly right though! LOL

I had read though that the EGR valve on 1Z TDI's are active UPTO 3000rpm. I once hooked up to VAG-COM and the ECU was requesting an EGR percentage from tick over. Can't remember the exact details though.

With the 1Z though, EGR was like a bolt on extra for an engine not origianally designed around EGR.

I believe later model engines had the EGR system incorperated into the whole engine design. ECU monitoring etc. which makes it far more difficult to disable the EGR without throwing up faults from the ECU.

EGR is used to reduce NOx, which would otherwise kill people through smog and other reactive by-products.

Not a bad idea IMO. :( The EGR would not be active during an MOT test - it only happens at speed under moderate load.

However I agree there must be better ways to clean up the exhaust, why don't they try water injection? (direct into combustion chamber)

I stand corrected!

I was nearly right though! LOL

I had read though that the EGR valve on 1Z TDI's are active UPTO 3000rpm. I once hooked up to VAG-COM and the ECU was requesting an EGR percentage from tick over. Can't remember the exact details though.

With the 1Z though, EGR was like a bolt on extra for an engine not origianally designed around EGR.

I believe later model engines had the EGR system incorperated into the whole engine design. ECU monitoring etc. which makes it far more difficult to disable the EGR without throwing up faults from the ECU.

you are correct. a normal working egr valve that is seating proper, is closed in a cold engine it opens up with the revs,once warm.

It will be closed under wide open throttle and also starts to close down slowly as more throttle is used.

So in the mot emissons test you will see that for part of the test,it will indeed be open, [warm engine throttle being applied] now most cars do not need the throttle to be on the floor to be reving at stupid revs,and as the engine has no real load on it the egr valve could be slightly open. this would also explain how when dis connected you emissions were lower,as the valve was always closed.From an engine piont of view the egr valve is a waste of space.but from a poison gas piont of view [NOX] it is helpfull.

So in the mot emissons test you will see that for part of the test,it will indeed be open, [warm engine throttle being applied]

I beg to differ, mot emission tests will not meet the conditions for egr operation, there is no load on the engine and combustion temperature will be too low even when revving the engine.

Toyota explains egr operation here

So in the mot emissons test you will see that for part of the test,it will indeed be open, [warm engine throttle being applied]

I beg to differ, mot emission tests will not meet the conditions for egr operation, there is no load on the engine and combustion temperature will be too low even when revving the engine.

Toyota explains egr operation here

very usefull,and interesting... if you have a petrol engine! as that is for a petrol engine!!!!