40k + Cambelt Competition

Guest blatters

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The cambelt on the PD engine is simplicity itself. It does take a while due to the amount of kit you need to remove to get at it but once there it is very very easy for the average mechanic. The labour rates that garages charge are an absolute joke - totally unjustifiable. I did mine a few months ago and all it cost was the belts tensioners ( i did both) and I did the water pump - total cost something under

• 1 month later...

As a matter of interest, my Gal 2006 (55 plate) 1.9TDi due for a cambelt change, phoned local Ford dealer for a price and service reception asked was it a 1.8 or 2.0. No, I said, its a 55 plate amd most def 1.9. Do you want the reg i asked? No, they said, it must be a 1.8. This went on for several minutes, they still would not admit I had a 1.9.

Exasperated I gave up and out of curiosity asked for the price anyway for cambelt and water pump, even charging me

As a matter of interest, my Gal 2006 (55 plate) 1.9TDi due for a cambelt change, phoned local Ford dealer for a price and service reception asked was it a 1.8 or 2.0. No, I said, its a 55 plate amd most def 1.9. Do you want the reg i asked? No, they said, it must be a 1.8. This went on for several minutes, they still would not admit I had a 1.9.

Exasperated I gave up and out of curiosity asked for the price anyway for cambelt and water pump, even charging me £6 for replacement coolant - quoted £471. No way I was going to use them anyhow as they can't even identify their own models!

VW I noticed currently have a fixed price menu, cambelt, waterpump, tensioner, coolant etc for £399. I asked if this would apply to my gal and they were happy to do it, plus they asked for the reg straight away to identify the model, something Ford apparently were not able to do.

No time or facilities to do the job myself so happy with the outcome plus people at VW were a lot more customer oriented than Ford.

I suggest you don't use the +++++++++++++++++ to do it I had a Sharan from them and it was never right in 4 years of ownership they are cowboys using VW's instead of horses, I cannot go into details as I am taking them to court but all I say is buyer beware if you deal with them.

best not name them if you have a legal case pending :blink: might not be seen to be the right thing,as they cannot defend themselves.

by all means if you win,then name and shame :wacko:

Edited by gregers
better not name then if theres a case looming.