Which Gear For Towing

thelanen17

Hi

recent new purchase of car and caravan.

I have a 04 1.9tdi 115ps and tow a coachman pastiche weight is 130 kilo unladen 1545 laden although never up to the limit. just wondered if 6th gear at 60 mph is ok or should i stick to 5fth ??

taken it out twice and not too sure about the 6th gear being the one to go with and don't really want to damage my new pride and joy.

any advice would be much appreciated.

Do you not mean 1300 unladen? my five foot trailer weighs more than 130.

Getting back to your question only you can really answer that, does the car struggle to achieve 60MPH on the flat or slight inclines.

If you can hold 60 without flooring the throttle then stay in sixth, if it starts losing it at the slightest pimple then drop to fifth before you lose momentum.

The longer you can stay in sixth without labouring the engine the better fuel consumption you will get

lol sorry should have read 1340 and yes its pretty good in 6th and on flat ish roads 60mph is about 1700 revs slight inclines don't seem to be a problem so will go with 6th where possible. may seem like a daft question really but on't want to damage the car and as its the first time ive had anything with 6 gears since my youth and that was a bicycle with shimano gears lol just wasnt certain

I was towing recently (swift charisma 525 - possibly!), there on a calm day- quite happy to go into 6th - and back on a windy day - stayed in 5th. Just see how she is towing and what she seems more stable comfortable at. Watch the engine temps too I guess. Helpfully my handbrake cable went at the start of the return journey, thankfully not far to go and all dual carriageway.

What chrispb123456 says is spot on.

Don't labour the engine in top gear.(or any gear). Puts too much stress on the DMF at lower revs. The most efficient part of the engine cycle is at peak torque, somewhere around 1900rpm ? That of course needs to be balanced with increased drag at higher speeds.

All the economy of the VW/Audi 1.9 TDi motor can be knocked for six by the cost of maintaining and repairing it, as I found out over the 10 years I had my Galaxy II.

• 2 weeks later...