Tyre Wear

My Galaxy was registered in Januraty 2008 - 2.0 tdi with auto box and self leveling suspension. I tow a caravan. I had to replace the rear tyres at 8500 miles as the outer edges of both were worn to an illegal level. I had the tracking checked and reset although Ford would accept no responsibility. I replaced the tyres - the car has now done 17600 miles and the rear tyres are in need of replacement as the outer edges have been worn down. I have had the tracking reset again but can get no explanation for why this should happen. The dealership and Customer Services (Ford UK) have no explanation.

Is this a common problem or is it my vehicle. The front tyres lasted 16000 miles which seems also quite heavy. Having had two earlier Galaxys I am very disappointed with this as is my wallet!

It sounds like under inflation.

What pressure do you have in the rear tyres......bearing in mind you are fully laden with a caravan on the back.

Don't know the pressure for the Mk3 but would think it would be at least 40psi.

My Galaxy was registered in Januraty 2008 - 2.0 tdi with auto box and self leveling suspension. I tow a caravan. I had to replace the rear tyres at 8500 miles as the outer edges of both were worn to an illegal level. I had the tracking checked and reset although Ford would accept no responsibility. I replaced the tyres - the car has now done 17600 miles and the rear tyres are in need of replacement as the outer edges have been worn down. I have had the tracking reset again but can get no explanation for why this should happen. The dealership and Customer Services (Ford UK) have no explanation.

Is this a common problem or is it my vehicle. The front tyres lasted 16000 miles which seems also quite heavy. Having had two earlier Galaxys I am very disappointed with this as is my wallet!

Hi there Also dont forget to check coupling nose weight, you could be overloading!!

• 1 month later...

<!--quoteo(post=154017:date=May 3 2010, 16:59:59:name=jhets)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jhets @ May 3 2010, 16:59:59) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=154017"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->My Galaxy was registered in Januraty 2008 - 2.0 tdi with auto box and self leveling suspension. I tow a caravan. I had to replace the rear tyres at 8500 miles as the outer edges of both were worn to an illegal level. I had the tracking checked and reset although Ford would accept no responsibility. I replaced the tyres - the car has now done 17600 miles and the rear tyres are in need of replacement as the outer edges have been worn down. I have had the tracking reset again but can get no explanation for why this should happen. The dealership and Customer Services (Ford UK) have no explanation.

Is this a common problem or is it my vehicle. The front tyres lasted 16000 miles which seems also quite heavy. Having had two earlier Galaxys I am very disappointed with this as is my wallet!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hi there Also dont forget to check coupling nose weight, you could be overloading!!

My Alhambra (1.9 TDI) has still got 3.5mm on the original rear tyres and they've done 43K - I'm on the second set of Fronts and they've got 2.5mm. No caravan though - most mileage is on long runs / motorways, with about 1/3 in town.

• 5 months later...

Under inflation would give wear on the outer edges of the rear tyres.

Could be some sort of suspension geometry action when loaded with a caravan and load in the back.

Not acceptable in any way.