Dog On The Starter Motor Makes Noises When Starting

I dont know if this is a common problem.Me and my wife desided on buying a Ford Galaxy,We shopped around a test drove a coupl,the first one we tryed made a funny noise when starting.The guy selling it told us it was the dog on the starter motor.I had never heard of this before.We didnt buy that car we found a nice 2.3 LX modal in Essex,Low mileage.when we test drove it it was faultless..a few days later the funny noise from the dog appeared again.this isnt everytime i start just on accassion.my questions are...Is this a common problem ?.Is it worth worrying about ? If so is there a cheaper option than the

I dont know if this is a common problem.Me and my wife desided on buying a Ford Galaxy,We shopped around a test drove a coupl,the first one we tryed made a funny noise when starting.The guy selling it told us it was the dog on the starter motor.I had never heard of this before.We didnt buy that car we found a nice 2.3 LX modal in Essex,Low mileage.when we test drove it it was faultless..a few days later the funny noise from the dog appeared again.this isnt everytime i start just on accassion.my questions are...Is this a common problem ?.Is it worth worrying about ? If so is there a cheaper option than the

• 10 months later...

no no dont buy a new starter its the bendix thats dry its doing no harm making the noise just take it off give it a good brush and a squirt of wd40 or sim never use oil tho its too thick and all the clutch dust clags to it, my mates gal being doing it for 2 years mines never done it but wont pay that much for one

• 2 years later...

The Bendix is the small cog on the end of the starter, pull out spray n clean with wd40, I have to do mine at least once a year, if you do take starter out to clean remember to disconnect the battery first, also ensure you have the code to put into the radio!

Clive