Moving On Up

seatkid

With the price of fuel going ballistic and predicted to carry on relentlessly upwards, (150p per litre by the end of the year is predicted) , I decided in my own little way I must do something about it. I have now moved from 53mpgville to 56mpgville. Had a couple of pleasant day trips to 60mpgville - but they won't let me in to stay. :unsure:

In other news, Toyota have agreed to pay 30% more for their steel, platinum is predicted to rise 50% by the end of the year, etc etc etc. Fuel up, Tax up, labour rates rising..... Looks like the days of cheap motors and motoring are now numbered.

Has the west's recent bingeing (through cheap credit and the subsequent credit crunch) and the pathetic response by central banks and governments finally sealed in an inevitable uncontrolled inflationary future for us and our children?

I think so.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree - but, I feel that as these costs are rising due to external influences such as the cost of materials etc, that our wonderful Government won't be able to usethis as a band wagon to jump on , then I can see a lot more people geting rid of their cars. This will probably achieve what This Gov has been pretending to do - make people aware of the environmental costs involved in motoring in today's world. I would love to shaft all the Opec countries by saying "keep your oil" but it ain't gonna happen.

I for one will look carefully at getting rid of one of my cars - it just doesn't cost in any more to have two - So Mrs BJ will have to get the bus :lol: as I need my car for work.

It does get a little painful when you don't get any change out of

Edited by Bigjeeze

***STOP PRESS****

BBC News today.... "The Petrol Retailers Association says that average prices could go up as much as 5 pence a litre by the weekend. " ;)

So I decided to fill up the cars tonight only to find that local Shell Station has already put their prices up by 4p per litre!!! ;) ;)

What the f***? This is getting stupid!!! :lol:

Has the west's recent bingeing (through cheap credit and the subsequent credit crunch) and the pathetic response by central banks and governments finally sealed in an inevitable uncontrolled inflationary future for us and our children?

Sort of... but its not that simple.

The big boys were investing in Property and this drove the price up in order to gaurentee their profits.

When the property market stuttered, they panicked and withdrew their money.

The idea then went around to invest it in commodities, Oil is a popular one.

This is now driving the price up to increase the profit to the investers.

There is no lack of oil production ( yet ! ) it is steadily increasing.

The producers are just charging more for it.

So I decided to fill up the cars tonight only to find that local Shell Station has already put their prices up by 4p per litre!!! ;) ;)

What the f***? This is getting stupid!!! :lol:

It should peak at about

I for one need my car, I need it to get my kids to school as they dont qualify for free transport.

Guess i will fill her up tomorrow, as by gum, never had the fuel gauge under the red before like it is now.

Diesel today is up to 125.9 a litre.Tomorrow, gawd knows what it will be.

as they dont qualify for free transport.

Yes they do.....its called walking.... :lol:

God in my day I used to walk miles to school.....

Do you good as well you could lose a few pounds, Pet......did I say that out loud then ?

as they dont qualify for free transport.

Yes they do.....its called walking.... :lol:

God in my day I used to walk miles to school.....

Do you good as well you could lose a few pounds, Pet......did I say that out loud then ?

mmmmm.......20 mile round trip for 3 of em on a busy main through road.( i do this trip twice a day)

Another 6 mile round trip for the youngest.

And yep, you did say it out loud, and nope, i have no need to lose a few pounds as i quite like the way i am now..i have a figure once again ;)

mmmmm.......20 mile round trip for 3 of em on a busy main through road.( i do this trip twice a day)

Another 6 mile round trip for the youngest.

You way out in the sticks then ?

..i have a figure once again :lol:

We would need to see the photographic evidence.............

Going back just over 12 months ago when i had my old Gal i didnt look at the price of fuel or how much i put in, i just filled it up.

Nowadays when i fill the Bamma up i only tend to put in what i need until next payday (paid weekly).

I dont tend to watch the news about the price of oil etc as it only gets me mad but was wondering why the fuel protests havnt started again. Do they not do any good last time ?

I have no idea what the answer is but it cant go on like this.

We have also looked at the idea of getting rid of one car (the wifes of course) but there is just no way we can manage with one car like a lot of familys

You way out in the sticks then ?

We would need to see the photographic evidence.............

Im not way out in the sticks, the school is. It was the best school that i could find that would help my daughter without a proper diagnosis and also the bowel problems she has.Only once have i been called to the school and that is when i gave her ex-lax.LMAO.

I live on a very tight budget as it is as i am not on income support even though i do not work. The way fuel costs are going, its going to be very tight indeed.

As for photographic evidence, there are already enough pics of me scattered across this forum. :lol:

For the first time ever, I am actually re-considering non-essential journeys, to go anywhere is just no pleasure, too much traffic, massive fuel costs, overcrowded destinations, queues everywhere, massively expensive family days out theme parks, unfortunately if this countries not careful its going to out price its own economy, leaving people no other choice but to stop spending completely on non-essentials.

It makes no wonder this country has a huge credit problem, people are having to resort to credit cards just to survive, by buying food shopping and fuel with their credit cards, with no way of paying them off.

Edited by jkspoff

I don't like it - I am sure no one else likes it - but I think we are all going to have to tighten our belts and stop spending on things that are now considered necessities but which are actually not. I still have my two Motorbikes in the garage and am thinking of getting them on the road again, I also pumped up the tyres on my push bike(need a few days rest now). I am not spending any money without considering carefully first what the future holds. I have no wish to struggle to pay mortgages etc - the bastards that artifically push these prices up are quite happy to forclose on you and take theri profit - they have no loyalty to you only themselves.

considering that my car has been run on bio diesel by the previous owner with nary a problem, i think i may go down that route.

I already dont buy anything that i dont need, i cant really cost cut any more ... unless i sell the kids that is.

It doesnt help that gas. electricity, water, have all gone up more than what the government raises tax credits.... struggling i am, and looking at trying to find work, but if i do, im shot in the foot as i lose housing benefit which means an extra 400 out a month so i would need to be bringing home at least 1500 month after tax/ ins just to make ends meet...mind, the ends have never met yet. :lol:

My local lowest fuel prices:

Asda Wakefield 119.9p 19-05-2008

Morrisons Dewsbury Road Wakefield 120.9p 19-05-2008

Sainsburys Wakefield 120.9p 19-05-2008

Shell Ossett 121.9p 18-05-2008

Turnpike Garage Barnsley 121.9p 19-05-2008

35 litres today cost me just over 43 quid.123.9 at morrisons.

The garage up the road was 125.9 yesterday, this morning he was 127.9!!

I have severely altered the way i drive, less braking, less speed, anticipation, checking tyre pressures.

I have severely altered the way i drive, less braking, less speed, anticipation, checking tyre pressures.
Apparently that style of driving is prohibited in leicestershire...... :lol:

considering that my car has been run on bio diesel by the previous owner with nary a problem

as quiet and sweet as a nut? :D

I was in Costco's in Watford last week and was eying rather wistfully the gallons of cooking oil at around 70p per litre and wondering should I try it in the Gal. But I didn't.

cheapest here is 108.8p petrol 118.9p diesel

dearest is 115.9 petrol 130.9 diesel

its bloody stupid used to be able do between 35-40 miles on

I've just looked at an American website that compares fuel prices, they can get diesel for about $1.13 per litre, and to think they are up in arms about the price, just hope that the US government will do something to bring down the price of a barrel. i've just filled up my Vauxhall Vivaro

I was in Costco's in Watford last week and was eying rather wistfully the gallons of cooking oil at around 70p per litre and wondering should I try it in the Gal. But I didn't.

Ok, I know that you have to pay duty and all that on veg oil if used as a fuel, BUT, what would happen if I just poured a litre of veg oil in my tank, would it work, or would I need to mix it up ??

Following changes to legislation last year, (it is widely believed that) private use of up to 2500 litres p.a. does not require an individual to pay duty. (depends how you interpret the wording)

Using food for fuel is morally questionable.....and messy.

According to what I have read, provided you limit the mix (50% max) and avoid certain type/models of diesel fuel systems (mainly CR or those not made by Bosch), then it should work. Long term damage may or may not occur....no one seems to be sure. Problems occur when the temperature is low and the oil turns to a lump of fat and the fuel filter needs to be changed more often. Don't know how well Veg oil mixes with diesel, there are of course several varieties of veg oil - canola (rape) oil seems to be the recommendation. Of course, there are no additives so lubricant and cleansing properties are unknown. Quality control is designed for chefs and not motors.

Opinions seem to be Mk1 Tdi - OK, Mk2 PD - Risky