Help

Mary

Went to switch on computer last night and it apparently has no power going in. All other things working ie monitor printer etc. Tried the obvious changing the fuse in the plug. Anyone know what the problem could be? Got my old 12 year old one down from the kids room and its sooooooooo slow I need my one back. Not only for speed but all the info on it.

Mary

Dead PSU? Is there any activity inside the PC at all? Do you hear any fans etc? Im assuming its a desktop PC.

If not then I would suspect the PSU, the trouble is, when they go they often take out other components too, motherboard, CPU etc

What make is it (emachines for instance are quite prone to PSU failure)?

Edited by tiny

Hi

no there is no noises at all no light as per normal nothing at all. Its a philips iQuon desk top.

Thank you for helping. Whats the PSU? should I open it up and have a look at its innards?

Mary

Edited by Mary

PSU = Power supply unit

They often have a fan built in which is a good indicator as to wether or not it is working (fan spins PSU should be ok, No spin no worky!)

If you remove the side panel, it is the cube shaped item that is usually in the top corner of the case, with the power lead going into it and several sets of leads coming out, a couple to the motherboard and one each to your drives (possibly with a couple of spares)

They are fairly standard items, the most common PC is an ATX form factor, this basically refers to the size of the motherboard, and are normally held into the case with 4 screws. They can be bought for as little as

thanks for that. Iam no computer geek....but how hard can it be? To hard for me probably but I will pretend it is a car and do as you have suggested and see what happens. If the country experiences a quake you'll know it blew up!!!!!!!!! At least I can laugh about it now was pretty upset at first. The fan thing is spinning but no noise what so ever so will go get to it and keep you posted. Thanks again for the help.

Mary

The fan that is spinning, is it the fan within the PSU or the one in the actual computer case?

Either way the PSU is probably working, when they die they create no power whatsoever.

Edited by tiny

Check if there is an on/off switch on the back of the computer - sometimes these can get knocked into the off position :lol: The on/off switch will be next to where the power plug goes in.

Failing that - it's likely that as the other posters said, it's the PSU and a good brand can be had from about

Edited by Stevieweevie

Thank you to everyone

I have now ordered a new PSU as the other one has a bit rattling around inside it. Looks a bit black so presume it got fried.(I think I will take up computer repair!!!!)

Hopefully it will arrive next week and I will get it fitted and going again.

If not I will have to scream, stamp my feet and by a new one I guess.

I only hope that the data on my computer will be ok.

This one I am using is so slow its doing my nut in. Takes about 15 mins to switch on........... but its is allowing me access to the internet so shouldn't complain.

Tried to get the hubbies lap top but he's not playing ball and says if I have broken mine then tough I ain't getting to do the same to his!!! As if.....

Mary

:) :lol: :lol: :lol:

I just went and repeated what you suggested Maz.

He said he was capable of a bit of DIY and I still wasn't getting his laptop :lol: