I was planning on removing drivers from my xp home - motherboard and

graphics card and transferring the hard drive directly - I really dont want

to fork out for a new copy of XP but I doubt whether the recovery disc from

evesham will provide a clean install.

Couple of questions - how successful do you think this strategy will be

and

how will the radeon hd3200 on board graphics on the new motherboard compare

with the nvidia 7600Gs

Last time I looked, and it was a long time ago, motherboards with onboard VGA do compromise performance, even when not using the onboard graphics.

The Evesham recovery disk may be set to not work on anything but an Evesham motherboard/bios, therefore a HDD transplant may not work in the manner in which you envisage.

Last time I looked, and it was a long time ago, motherboards with onboard VGA do compromise performance, even when not using the onboard graphics.

The Evesham recovery disk may be set to not work on anything but an Evesham motherboard/bios, therefore a HDD transplant may not work in the manner in which you envisage.

you cant just do a copy of the hard drive windows will notice that its working with new kit and ask you to re register it it may accept your code if you have it but it may notice that its no longer "oem" and kick you out "oem"software is only for the life of the box its loaded on and not licenced to swap about

sorry

• 2 months later...

you cant just do a copy of the hard drive windows will notice that its working with new kit and ask you to re register it it may accept your code if you have it but it may notice that its no longer "oem" and kick you out "oem"software is only for the life of the box its loaded on and not licenced to swap about

sorry

Yes and no potentially

I've had a few problems before with a similar problem Nik and just swapped the hard drive into another computer. Basically it wouldn't boot which was put down to the HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) being totally different.

Does the HD3200 work off the AGP bus Nik?

Edited by Bleeno

umm this seems like a long time ago - in fact it worked fine for a couple of weeks - I did have some issues with the graphics card (wasn't sure if it was ok anyway) on windows boot up (ok in bios - funny chaotic display for 8 sec before clearing during windows load) interestingly enough it didn't ask for validation.

After a few weeks I re installed (xp pro) to see if there was any difference with the graphics card - guess what no change - so there is a hardware issue with it anyway

both stategies worked ok - separate graphics card much better than the built in one (although the built in is dx10 but there is no chance that vista will ever sniff this machine)

now looking at HD media streamers and nas - any experience folks ????

Current computer - cube case from evesham over a year old, based on biostar

ideq N1 (manual says ideq 250n but doesnt look correct) has started not to

boot - cant find a replacement motherboard so I am looking to move the guts

to a new motherboard and case. (AMD x2 64 am2 4200 +1Gig ram+ 250G hd dvd

burner+ leadtek 7600GS).

I've ordered a EV case http://www.ebuyer.com/product/135497

and motherboard Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H 780G Socket AM2+ onboard VGA

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/142347 ( Would like to get a motherboard

with some headroom for further upgrading so this seems a better bet than a

straight sckt am2 mboard)

I was planning on removing drivers from my xp home - motherboard and

graphics card and transferring the hard drive directly - I really dont want

to fork out for a new copy of XP but I doubt whether the recovery disc from

evesham will provide a clean install.

Couple of questions - how successful do you think this strategy will be

You can't change major hardware items and expect the original OEM copy of WIndows XP to work - cos it won't. The OEM Windows disk supplied is tightly tied in with the original hardware and simply wont work with the changes you propose. Microsofts licence expects you to ditch the software with the original kit.

You can only make minor changes with OEM kit (even some of these changes will trigger a validation error). The expensive RETAIL version of Windows XP which is not supplied with computers you buy prebuilt allows major changes ad infinitum.

Any major rebuild warrants a reinstallation of the OS.

Ebay have a few combined units a network storage device and a HD output video playback so 2 birds with one stone :D or alternatively get a cheapish motherboard and build a media pc there are new boards coming out with HD graphics onboard that are not to bad :)

Ebay have a few combined units a network storage device and a HD output video playback so 2 birds with one stone :angry2: or alternatively get a cheapish motherboard and build a media pc there are new boards coming out with HD graphics onboard that are not to bad :unsure:

yes I've looked at the combined units eg ..this one I am bother by 2 things with combined units !) the noise they make drive/fan and 2) if it goes wrong you lose both parts, eventually I would like to put the nas in the loft (so may self build here) and as the price of streaming unit come down (not necessarily HD) put some in the kids bedrooms to save all the discs being buggered and one HD unit with the big telly /hifi in the living room.

Where did this thread come from??????? must have been asleep:)

A quick call to Microsoft sorts out any validation issues, even on OEM installs, when migrating to new hardware, in XP that is, now Vista is a completley different kettle o fish.

I got my main PC wired to my 42" LCD via DVI-HDMI, sound is through dolby surround system. Streamers are fine if you like the simplicity, but I like a complicated life and get grumpy when things are working fine.