Mpg's

MadBaz

bah.....kid's stuff......let's talk advanced digital time domain processing algorithms or maybe a distance domain or even speed domain would be more appropriate and accurate.......

bah.....kid's stuff......let's talk advanced digital time domain processing algorithms or maybe a distance domain or even speed domain would be more appropriate and accurate.......

Have you took into account the Einstien Relativistic effects of the time dialation ?

Thats gone way over my head, possibly a little complex for such a trivial subject, in my humble opinion of course.

Nah....I'm just talking shit as usual....part of my plan to appeal to a wider audience... ^_^

Have you took into account the Einstien Relativistic effects of the time dialation ?

A..t......t..h..e.....s..p...e..e..d..

I.....t...r...a..v..e...l........i...t.......m...a...y......b...e

s......i......g......n.....i.......f.....i.......c......a.....n.......t

^_^

Reason for edit: Remove slander and potentially inoffensive remarks...

Edited by seatkid

My maths is perfect.....ummm....i think.... :)

realisticly, she does about 33mpg, sometimes more sometimes less which i think for my wee veccy is pretty darn good.Got tiny tyres on her though, as im sure that will have an effect on it plus with all seats filled by bums that will drag it down a bit..so i guess that if it was just me in the car doing a nice long run....i reckon i probably could get a way lot more out of her (thats if my foot doesnt suddenly become made of lead :16: )

Doesn't hurt occasionally.

I heard that that them TDI's need to be driven 'like their stolen' at least once every trip to prevent the intakes from clogging up.

Seen some horrible photo's of air intakes that have been driven 'lightly' to prove the fact too.

EGR has a lot to answer for.

A good blast doesnt hurt them and every now and then i would blast mine, she didnt half fly and could move pretty quick for a diesel, the EGR is disconnected on my veccy at the mo ( think its the EGR anyway), But it is recommended to give them or any car a good blast before an MOT.

oooooooo GOODY ANOTHER MPG THREAD WONDER HOW LONG THIS 1 WILL LAST :16: :)

Bit longer than the others as its in debateing :D can slag each other to yer hearts content ..... winthin reason of course ;)

come on we all know that the only thing that affects mpg is the senility or otherwise of the driver :12: :12:

:16: :16: :16: :12: :12:

Im safe then, sooo what can affect MPG.

weight of car? ( full load or not)

MAF working ( or not as the case may be)

Towing

Fuel type? ( Petrol or Diesel i mean )

If the engine is kept in good order? ( i would imagine that an engine that is used and abused and not serviced or looked after would return crap MPG)

oooot else??

oh yes..the biggy...DRIVING STYLE.

thats why she keeps getting lost

she should become a taxi driver,the london cabbys have got nothing on her compared to her knowledge of where shes been :16:

Edited by gregers

thats why she keeps getting lost

she should become a taxi driver,the london cabbys have got nothing on her compared to her knowledge of where shes been :16:

london taxi driver ---- the knowledge

mumof4 ------------- the noledge

:) :16: :16:

Oi you cheeky beggers, of course i have a driving style.Turn car on, back out of driveway, point car and go.Not my fault if most of the time the car is pointing the wrong way :16:

Taxi driver..mmm...now if it was one of those ones where you pay per mile then id make a fortune!..could retire in a week....now that sounds ace to me..

I know where Heathrow airport is, seen the M25 a few times....just happened to be on the same day going round in circles mind..bloody long road that one!...im getting better though!..i now have 3 Atlases in my car...ok they are in the boot but i do have three.I also am accumalating those street ones , got one for swindon, aberdeen, shropshire, northampton...heck, could start my own shop! :)

Havent got one for Northampton, coventry, kings lynn, or milton keynes yet..been them places aswell.OO..derby was good....went round there a few times.Bristol was ace, spent a few hours there.Pity i never got out the car as i was going round in circles trying to get out of the place.That hill in bristol..noooo way was i going up that thing!!.would have burnt my clutch out as i hated putting on the handbrake on a hill just in case i rolled back when i pulled off, so i swung a left and sorta went down all these back roads.LMAO.

ahhh..i do so love the scenic route.

OK, time for some serious debate.....while nobody's looking :16:

Several forum members have posted that weight is a big factor.......

Well I argue only to a small extent.

If your driving style was one where you always slam on the anchors to slow down and this is happens very often, say every minute, then yes the "lost" kinetic energy due to braking will be directly related to vehicle weight.

But if you trundle along at constant speed, the only factor that come into play are rolling resistance and aerodynamic drag. That is why in all the "ECO" models coming out at the moment, the major (and perhaps the only) difference with the "standard" model are skinnier, not so low profile "eco" tyres.

Consider this,

a Galaxy Tdi weighs about 1.8T and returns about 50 mpg at 56mph

a modern HGV fully laden weighs 44T and returns about 9 mpg

The HGV is 24x heavier but only uses 5.5x more fuel - and I reckon this is mainly due to the tyre rolling resistance than anything else after all it has about 5 times as many tyres not not mention the size of them.....

I heard that that them TDI's need to be driven 'like their stolen' at least once every trip to prevent the intakes from clogging up.

Seen some horrible photo's of air intakes that have been driven 'lightly' to prove the fact too.

EGR has a lot to answer for.

Mainly an american myth, caused by the crap diesel they have over there.

EGR is still a bad idea. Talk to any decent mechanic. Its just an attempt at saving the planet from more than likely a natural cycle of global warning etc. Anyway last mot with egr disabled smoke test result was far lower than with it enabled.

EGR is still a bad idea. Talk to any decent mechanic. Its just an attempt at saving the planet from more than likely a natural cycle of global warning

EGR was introduced well before the "global warming" myth started.

However the amount of recycling ( typicaly 10% ) is negligible and won't make a difference one way or another....bit like Catalytic Convertors....waste of time.

EGR is used to reduce NOx, which would otherwise kill people through smog and other reactive by-products.

Not a bad idea IMO. :lol: The EGR would not be active during an MOT test - it only happens at speed under moderate load.

However I agree there must be better ways to clean up the exhaust, why don't they try water injection? (direct into combustion chamber)