EML does not illuminate on ignition

I recently bought a 55-plate Galaxy 1.9 TDDi and have only just noticed that the engine management light doesn’t illuminate when the ignition is initially turned on – which I believe it’s supposed to do for a split second, in order to show the light works?  All the other lights illuminate briefly, just not the EML.

I’d like to figure out why this is (though perhaps I should be careful what I wish for, in case it stays on?!).  I suppose it could be a bit of black tape or something over the light, but I’ve examined the dash closely and it doesn’t look like that’s it.  So I took a look in the fuse box and I see fuse no. 1 is missing.  In the manual the circuits protected by this fuse are listed as: “ignition, engine management (2.8 CD-V6 24V engine), instrument cluster” – I have a different engine than the one mentioned here, but it still seems suspicious.

Would it be safe to insert a 10A fuse into this socket and see what happens, or does that risk creating a connection that is unintended on this model, and/or a short-circuit?

On the offchance it’s relevant, there are some other missing fuses – nos. 1 (as mentioned), 9, 10, 11, 16, 17, and 33.  I’ve attached the fuse card to this post.

Now let’s say hypothetically I don’t manage to figure this out – will the car fail MoT, i.e. does the MoT require the EML to turn on briefly before extinguishing?  I’m aware it mustn’t be permanently on, but this is the extreme opposite problem...

IMG_20211229_153422958.jpg