Ford Galaxy Boot Wont Open Newbie Help Pls

newbie needs help

sorry if im not in the right place

w reg ford galaxy.
key or central locking wont open boot.
pull the boot latch and no whining noise from the lock trying to open
have managed to open the boot and when looking at the mechanism and pulling the handle nothing happens

the boot will close but will not open EVER!!
fuel cap opens and closes with central locking and the key in the boot still operates the central locking for all the other doors. just the boot is unresponsive

what is the problem

If turning the key in the boot lock operates the other central locking motors but not the boot latch itself then it sounds like an internal fault with the latch to me- either something mechanical is seized or broken, or if the latch is electronically actuated by the key, a fault with the actuator itself.

Put the key in the tailgate lock and turn it to the anticlockwise (might be clockwise, I can't remember) position. Then continue to turn the key, (its quite stiff) and you can open the lock mechanically, rather than electrically. Once open, check the wiring in the rubber gaitors (rh side I think), you will probably find damaged wiring there.

• 2 years later...

I need help with similar problem.  2006 LHD galaxy Ghia 2.0 tdi.  All doors and filler cap OK but boot will not open/unlock.  There is no keyhole - just electrically unlocked with remote. 

I have read all the responses for this problem.  Have pulled cover partly off but even with crow bar cannot get enough space to get arm in.  I did manage to break most of the clips in my efforts. Boot cover has cut outs each side but I cannot reach in.

There is rectangular lump in bottom of cover below right hand rear light cover (left as you face back from the inside)

Happy to cut a hole in the cover if that's the only way but would like to know position to avoid holes all over.