Oil Levels

Guest 2MPV

Back in the early Galaxy days... Ford wrote to all owners telling us to check oil levels the normal way and not to depend on the computer, as by the time a low oil level registers the damage may be done.

• 2 years later...

definatly worth the post

we all need a reminder ....

Remembering to use the 30w 5 oil

as this does appear to work well

with the galaxy and keeps it oiled up

likewise with the water washers ...how many times have a driven

to find the wife must have washed her hair under the

water jets as there is none left

only to start chucking bottles of water out the window over the front

windscreen ....

regards .,...

shelbournes

• 9 months later...

Now you tell me! lol

I checked my oil tonight after having just bought the thing and found it to be VERY low. I'm not too worried as there was still oil on the oil cap but very little on the dipstick. I topped her up with 5w40 but as it appears I have an oil leak from the sump, I better keep a close eye on it. I didn't even realise the computer tells you these things!

Cheers

Mike

• 1 year later...

I am not aware of any engine that has an "overflow" and certainly no Galaxy engine has one. Oil level is critical in all engines , too little and the engine may be terminally damaged due to sudden loss of oil pressure. Too full and it may damage the catalytic convertor and the engine due to over pressure in the crankcase - it may be the reason behind your leak. ( by too full, I mean more than about 6 mm above the Max mark on your dipstick) On the other hand the previous owner may have overfilled it knowing that it leaks.

Either way, do something to get the oil level between the min and max mark on your dipstick or suffer the consequences.

Remember to check the oil level with the vehicle stood on level ground, the engine should be warm and have been turned off for at least 3 minutes before you check.

Edited by seatkid