1997 1.3 Ka Revving Its Tits Off

Guest chingers

Guest chingers

just baught a 1.3 1997 ka, and when at normal running temp. when i push the clutch in to change gear, the revs pick up, and slowly decrease after a couple seconds, but not when idling in neutral. possibly a sensor somewhere? im just wandering if anyone here knows what could be the problem before i take it in for a check.

cheers guys.

Hi,

I had the same problem with mine back in 2000 (V reg). I got some funny looks, stationary on the M25, but revving like some "boy racer".

Anyway, it was brand new and i took it to the dealer, who said there was nothing wrong. The problem continued so took it to another Ford garage and again, nothing wrong.

I mentioned this to a neighbour who works at thr Ford Research Centre, Dunton. He asked in work, "Lo and behold" it's a KNOWN fault in the earlier models. He even told me the fault ID No. but sorry can't remember it. Anyway took it back to garage "Told them how to do their job" and all was fixed (part replacement).

You may not have any joy with a free fix, but any Ford dealer should be aware of the problem.

jjcook

• 3 years later...

Hi, I got a similar problem but doesn't sound quite as extream as yours and doesn't always happen (although quite frequently recently) but I can be driving and as soon as I put the clutch down its revs up for about 2-4 seconds then restores but If I just put clutch down change hear and clutch back up because of this its causing me to wheel spin which ain't good for my tyres, plus I quite frequently go through a small village and the looks I get because of it.

Its not really high revs but its engouh to sound odd and cause annoyance.

Any ideas? - A small local garage to me says its a common thing in KA's something to do with the clutch sensor feeding wrong information to the computer and said he would plug it into the computer at some point to see what its doing.

Thanks,

Max

• 6 months later...

idle control valve ???? unplug it and test drive if doe@s do it you know its that if??? it it dont check breather hose's for splits and holes??? very commone on fiestas and mondeos con

Hi,

I had the same problem with mine back in 2000 (V reg). I got some funny looks, stationary on the M25, but revving like some "boy racer".

Anyway, it was brand new and i took it to the dealer, who said there was nothing wrong. The problem continued so took it to another Ford garage and again, nothing wrong.

I mentioned this to a neighbour who works at thr Ford Research Centre, Dunton. He asked in work, "Lo and behold" it's a KNOWN fault in the earlier models. He even told me the fault ID No. but sorry can't remember it. Anyway took it back to garage "Told them how to do their job" and all was fixed (part replacement).

You may not have any joy with a free fix, but any Ford dealer should be aware of the problem.

jjcook

idle control valve ???? unplug it and test drive if doe@s do it you know its that if??? it it dont check breather hose's for splits and holes??? very commone on fiestas and mondeos con
Hi,

jjcook

i agree with the-boss more likley to be the idle control vaulve or a split breather pipe, unplug the ilde control and see if it makes a difference!

i would hope that as the original post was made in 2005 that it might of been fixed by now.plz could you check the dates of the posts to see if they are current many thanks ;) :lol: