Hello! Another Door loom puzzle :p

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum and have not seen a section to introduced my self so here I come...

New to the Galaxy. Bought mine some 10 days ago 2006 MK2 TDI 130. Had many VW TDIs and SDIs before

I took my chances on a fairly Tatty Cat D one with 130k that pulls like a train and had good bones. Did the cambelt and replace the exhaust, Mote' and is up an running.  For now I spent £1250.

Now... the door loom was a mess. The central lock was working but had no speaker, no window and no mirror... The the central lock stopped working.

I read quite a bit here and there and realised that finding a replacement loom was going to be difficult. All the plastic was broken so in a moment of madness or brilliance I cut all cables about 1.5 in from the male loom that comes from the door and  added about 30 cm of wire which I threaded through the pillar and soldered one by one (Took me 3.5 hours) and the taped the whole thing with harness cloth tape and I attached them firmly inside the car. Now I have most electronics back but no central lock.

The central lock and alarm can be operated from the tailgate so I I unlock/disarm the alarm from the tailgate and then manually unlock the drivers door. Is better than what I had before but still...

I have a few questions for those who might have been here before...

1) Does the driver door lock have a dedicated fuse. (Central lock and alarm is working but not from the door) Or one fuses controls all?

2) When re-soldering I eyeballed and assumed all colour combination of the cables were different only to find out that there are 2x Green with Red stripe and 2 Black with yellow stripe so I might have crossed those. Any one have a schematic of the loom? Could this potential cross explain the lack of central locking?

3) I found automotive cable off amazon and it turned to be solid cable. I went with it but wonder whether it was the right call. I am obviously a lot better off than before but still...

4)  The pins all seemed straight and fine but is worth to spray some contact cleaning there just in case that is all that is missing?

5) Are the cables known to crap out inside the door too or only near the loom for the most part? 

Thanks in advance for reading. Hopefully I find some answers.

Cheers!

• 2 months later...