Thinking Of Buying A Galaxy

Hello,

I’m thinking of buying a 2002-2005 Ford galaxy 1.9 diesel

Are there any common faults on these I need to look out for whilst looking at a potential purchase?

Do they accept vagcom? I have VCDS and would like to know if they support it?(with it being made by VW) heard it does support it but needing confirmation

Is the cruise control, captain seats and dvd/ head rests retrofitable?

What’s the true MPG? On the 1.9 diesel?

Like the VW Sharan but I know that is the same as a galaxy, also thinking of a Zafira but I’m siding with the galaxy due to it being made in partnership with vw and it’s space inside

welcome to the forum mike,galaxy eh,now why the bloody hell would you want 1???lol.

problems......nah not 1,

seriously take a looksie in the tech section of the forum to gain a jist of the problems these cars suffer from,

like any car there are faults,forums like this were set up to help others and try and keep tour hard earned in our pocket rather the the stealers.

retro fitting things are all doable if you have long arms and short pockets but try and buy 1 that has all the goodies included.

OH GOODIE we havnt had a mpg argument for years lol,i managed to get 59 mpg out of my old tdi but i was driving like miss daisy,

mmm zaffy REALLY dont know anyone who went down that route!!lol,i did after 18mths bought another galaxy,SO dont do it.

i bought a mk1 tdi zafira when i got rid of my mk1 petrol 2 ltr galaxy had it about 18 mths,was absolutely bomb proof to be honest even though i got a lot of stick from everyone on here never had a single problem with it,

but they are no way as good as the gals are,a lot smaller to a point you will notice once you have driven the 2.go to a dealer and try and load all your stuff and kids into one.you will see what im on about.

dunno what the newer ones are like but i still would go for a gal which is what i went back to,a tdi mk2 ghia,have you thought about an smax?larger then a zaffy smaller then the mk3.had a tdci titainium for about 5 years great car.

• 2 weeks later...

As gregers says, try to buy one with all the bits you want. Retrofitting most things can be done, but it's not always easy, and aftermarket solutions may be the only answer in some cases. Consequently, it can get expensive if you are paying someone else.

The mechanical parts are pretty sturdy, so long as you avoid the automatics. Air conditioning is extremely fragile, and is an on-going and expensive battle to keep it working, so check that it at least works when you buy the car. Don't be fobbed off by the "it only needs re-gassing" ploy - if it doesn't work, it will probably need money throwing at it.

Watch out for crushed sills (particularly around the front jacking points) and corrosion - that's the biggest enemy on these cars at the age they are now. A 2002 car is now 15 years old, and they were never particularly well protected from corrosion in the first place. Look closely at the rear wheelarches, the very bottom of the front wings where they meet the sills, and the sills themselves. If you can get underneath, check the inner sills and front cross members between the sills & the main chassis rails. Those are the places that tend to go first. Check old MOTs online, and walk away from anything that's already been welded, unless it's very cheap indeed.

All that said, there are some later Galaxys about that have been looked after, and are very nice condition - but they command silly prices. There are far more rough ones about, so take care if you want something that will last a few years.

Expect mid-40s mpg, 50mpg on a run. There was a standing joke on here that certain individuals only went to the petrol station to put some diesel back in the pump! It may of course have been part fuelled by jealousy from those of us running petrol Galaxys... :lol:

Don't overlook a LPG converted petrol if you come across one, the 2.3 petrol drives well and should give comparable running costs to the diesel, although road tax on later cars is higher. It might also be worth keeping an eye on what the Chancellor says about diesel duty in the Budget on Wednesday.

Power steering is a traditional hydraulic assisted rack, and the major components are generally reliable on the Galaxy. Usual faults are down to leaks from pipework or faulty seals, although fluid leaks which have gone unrepaired can damage the pump. Any fluid leak from the rack itself has the potential for big bills, it's a fairly time consuming job to replace the rack.

You really need to know what the exact symptoms are before you can guess what the likely cause is. On the face of it, a replacement pipe or a repair isn't going to cost a fortune, so you have to ask why they haven't fixed it before sale?

Personally, it wouldn't put me off if the rest of the car was good. I would use it as a stick to beat the price down and repair it myself.

Hi guys. I’ve had to go for an Xsara Picasso hdi. Was hoping to sell one of my cars for a lot more than I sold it for(engine rebuilt, head gasket, timing belt, clutch, you name it. I done it) so didn’t have enough funds to get a decent galaxy, could of fixed the issues but needed a car that works out of the bat. But guys I’ll be back! Planning on getting a 2008 galaxy in a good few month!