Not Powering Off

has it always been like this?

somewhere in the back of my mind,iirc you need to swap the live wires over???

Thats definitely the case on the mk1 you swap the battery live and ignition live wires over. MK2 probably the same

ah good,memory still good then lol.

Swap the wires as above, or you can get an adapter cable which also has a small box of tricks that supplies power fown the antenna cable to the the aerial amplifier at the back.

The most noticeable effect of the amplifier is to make AM radio bands work properly - so if this is important to you, a VW Golf ISO adapter cable is what you need.

Swap the wires as above, or you can get an adapter cable which also has a small box of tricks that supplies power fown the antenna cable to the the aerial amplifier at the back.

The most noticeable effect of the amplifier is to make AM radio bands work properly - so if this is important to you, a VW Golf ISO adapter cable is what you need.

Your signature doesn't sound too promising!

Oh, you noticed that! :lol:

Not sure what to do at the moment, there's 3 cars on the drive and something has got to go. The old Galaxy is getting a bit long in the tooth now and it needs a few quid for the MOT... main problem is a cracked windscreen. It's a shame to scrap it, it still runs and drives perfectly and the body is still presentable, especially for an 18 year old car with 160,000 miles... on the other hand, it's a 18 year old car, with an 18 year old interior, etc., etc..

It might get a reprieve for a while, I'm not sure yet. If I can happen upon a cheap secondhand windscreen, I might bung it through a test. Otherwise, it doesn't look too good. It would certainly be the end of an era, after owning the old bus 14 years.

Edited by sparky Paul

Oh, you noticed that! :lol:

Not sure what to do at the moment, there's 3 cars on the drive and something has got to go. The old Galaxy is getting a bit long in the tooth now and it needs a few quid for the MOT... main problem is a cracked windscreen. It's a shame to scrap it, it still runs and drives perfectly and the body is still presentable, especially for an 18 year old car with 160,000 miles... on the other hand, it's a 18 year old car, with an 18 year old interior, etc., etc..

It might get a reprieve for a while, I'm not sure yet. If I can happen upon a cheap secondhand windscreen, I might bung it through a test. Otherwise, it doesn't look too good. It would certainly be the end of an era, after owning the old bus 14 years.

Mines in a similar situation, windscreen is fine in my case but the engine is barely running anymore, its losing a lot of compression back into the sump - so much so if you take the oil filler off oil is thrown up out of it, and it is sending oil back up the crankcase breather into the airbox, needs some TLC after 238k and much the same issues with the state of the interior being a) Tired and b) Aspen spec so not particularly comfortable.

...needs some TLC after 238k and much the same issues with the state of the interior being a) Tired and B) Aspen spec so not particularly comfortable.

Mark 1 Zetec trim's not exactly plush either, but I'll be sorry to see it go, it will be liking losing an old friend.

The Galaxy has only let me down once in 14 years, or more precisely the other half... went to pick the kids up from school, and it wouldn't start when she went back to it. Towed it back and the damn thing started on the drive... relay 30 was the culprit. In 14 years, I don't think that was bad at all, many a time we have gone sailing past broken down cars of a much newer vintage on our 500+ mile holiday drives.

...needs some TLC after 238k and much the same issues with the state of the interior being a) Tired and B) Aspen spec so not particularly comfortable.

Mark 1 Zetec trim's not exactly plush either, but I'll be sorry to see it go, it will be liking losing an old friend.

The Galaxy has only let me down once in 14 years, or more precisely the other half... went to pick the kids up from school, and it wouldn't start when she went back to it. Towed it back and the damn thing started on the drive... relay 30 was the culprit. In 14 years, I don't think that was bad at all, many a time we have gone sailing past broken down cars of a much newer vintage on our 500+ mile holiday drives.

Exactly the fault i brought mine with - Didn't know the cause at the time although did know it had a fault of that description. Have had the relay go again since but just replaced it with the original that was re soldered and its been fine since. Only times mine has broken down as such its not been major - Clutch that gave up after a particually hilly journey (it was slipping beforehand anyway), alternator that failed in the most awkward place it could have chosen to do so (Belfast - the replacement came from Huddersfield on next day shipment, not really what was wanted when I had 250+ miles to drive back home) and a brake calliper bolt that came out as it obviously didn't get done up properly being the only recovery reasons in over 110k of mileage being not bad at all.