Is This Normal

Stevemc0

Hi all

I have a galaxy 2.8 v6 24valve auto and when I'm doing about forty and I put my foot down to over take it accelerates ok but if I push throttle down for the kick down the front end moves from side to side and the esp light keeps flashing but I'm still accelerating is this normal ? It does stop once I take foot off of throttle. This is the first galaxy I have owned so not sure if there is a problem

It certainly doesn't sound right - does the engine sound like its actually running correctly? (no spluttering or misfiring?)

What tyres do you have fitted? (size and load rating - the load rating is critical as if its too low the handling is impaired)

Could be a few other things - most that come to mind would be picked up on an mot (worn drop links or other antiroll bar bits, steering bushes etc) or make noticeable sounds. Could be a broken abs ring is the only other thing i can think of, though i'd expect this to be causing the abs light to come on (provided it works of course).

wonder if its the gearbox mount.

to check lift bonnet(make sure engine is cold) grab hold of the engine and see it it rocks back n forth easily?

Ok I will have a look at the engine and gearbox mounts. The engine runs very smooth no lumpy tickover or misfire and gearbox seams to change gear at about 2500 rpm without any jerkiness. I have checked for faults using viagcom and nothing on gearbox just two codes for engine p1118 and p1119 which I think is oxygen sensor heater circuit. No faults on abs . This only happens under hard acceleration so might be tyres they look like they are getting close to the wear indicators. It's due an mot next month so I will find out if there is anything else but I haven't heard any knocking noises whilst driving

Many thanks for your replys

OMFG! yes its natural, your dropping a cog, flooring the throttle and dumping nearly 200 bhp through the front wheels, while trying to drag nearly 2 ton of metal down the road! its called torque steer and wheel spin, the little light on the dash is telling you not to drive like a muppet :blush:   get the tyres replaced with something decent, throw out all the crap your carrying, like the rear seats that dont get used, and unhook that plastic shed off the back :16:

Hi all

Sorry I haven't been on with an update but I have been ill. This is what I have found which I should imagine could be a potentially lethal problem. The tyres fitted on the front are wrong ie tyres fitted are 205/55/16 91t on front,rears are 215/55/16 97w. the t is speed rating 118mph. My original post I said that when I accelerated it was fine but when I put my foot down a bit more to Chang down gear ( not floor it) I would get the esp flashing and car would move from side to side i am really glad I didn't floor it, I can only imagine the carnage I could have caused if I had. So I have ordered two new 215/55/16 97w for front

Many thanks for your replies

Tyres are changed to correct size now on 215/55/16 97w xl on front and the difference it's made is amazing. Talking to the tyre people yesterday the 55 is the percentage of the width so the tyre wall height is just over half of the width of the tyre , so the 205/55/16 that had been fitted would have a smaller circumference making a difference to fuel economy etc

Glad to hear you've got it sorted, The load rating is more critical as well (the 97 part in your new ones - too low and the tyres flex too much, which makes the handling somewhat more bouncy than it should be - I was somewhat dubious when I'd taken it to get wheel alignment adjusted but was amazed how much of an improvement it made)