Problems Fitting Dab Radio In 2005 Galaxy Tdi

Hi all - sorry if this has been answered in another part of the forum - I did have a look but can't find anything...

Right - having become really fed up with the same 6 cd's in a rickety changer every holiday, I've decided to splash out on a gucci Pure Highway DAB Bluetooth unit from Halfords. Its rather nice and has all of the functions I could only dream of. A bargain price too so I couldn't really pass it up. Its a single DIN unit so I've ordered a Galaxy blanking plate with shelf from eBay in readiness - this should also come with a short wiring loom I'm told.

The problem is the DAB Antenna - I've heard horror stories about people playing good money for the stick on windscreen antenna which are frankly awful. I've also heard about the external antenna which get nicked or damage, so I'm ruling that one out. If anyone has any successes, it would be nice to hear them!

However, a pal told me about a splitter which uses the FM antenna built into the car for digital and analogue reception, so I had a look at a few. They all seem to indicate that you can't use them on a powered antenna, only on a passive one. I know that the Galaxy has an amplifier in the front above the driver/passenger, but is there any way that I can counter that? I'm not too good with electrics and started this project with a 'well its only a couple of plugs' attitude. I've fitted stereos numerous times to numerous cars as its so straight forward but I'm not sure about 'powered antenna' and the like. 

If anyone out there could offer any assistance it would be greatly appreciated. I just dont want to blow up my new DAB radio!

Thanks in advance...

• 4 weeks later...

I've got the autoleads one running both of my jvc kd-db711 units in different vehicles (Galaxy and mondeo) and have had them in at least 4 different vehicles now. Work fine with mine, you have to feed it with 12v which i do from the powered antenna of the radio (when its new it comes with the appropiate bit to push into the connector on back of the stereo).

The stick on ones are frankly a pain - the proper ones supplied with the units are fine provided you put them in the right place (higher the better i found). However you can't swap them to a different vehicle and i've never seen any better performance from them than the splitter (which is easier to install).

I had one of the multi signal external ones, this gave a slight improvement over the stick on one, but not enough to make it worthwhile (particually on the Galaxy as you've got to make new holes for it).

What model Galaxy are you fitting it to and whats currently fitted?