Upgrade Speakers In A Mk3

Nick

Well there's a first! ....... Mk 3 Galaxy with crap speakers ..... did Ford ask anybody what they thought about the sound quality from their head units? I can recommend Sony speakers Nick ....... I fitted 4 Sony XSF1727's which are basically dual concentric with about 30W RMS output power. Just find out what the diameter of speaker you require and also the depth as they obviously have to fit into the door. The Mk 2 uses 17cm which fit perfectly. Hope this helps.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I have the factory Sony in my S-Max. I recommend upgrading the front tweeters first: I put in some JL Audio VR ones, then some XR ones. Both really opened the sound up. Replacing the woofers in a Mk3 can be a pain in the ****, as they are a combined speaker and mounting. Not worth doing, as the premium factory woofers are good enough, especially if you add a separate amp and split out the lowest frequencies to a sub.

• 1 year later...
I have the factory Sony in my S-Max. I recommend upgrading the front tweeters first: I put in some JL Audio VR ones, then some XR ones. Both really opened the sound up. Replacing the woofers in a Mk3 can be a pain in the ****, as they are a combined speaker and mounting. Not worth doing, as the premium factory woofers are good enough, especially if you add a separate amp and split out the lowest frequencies to a sub.

Can anyone tell me what size speakers you can fit in the Mk3 for the front and rear doors + the tweerers.

(I have an 07 plate if it make any difference)

• 9 months later...

Personally, I am pretty disappointed with the audio quality in my 09 S-Max Titanium (DAB high end, apparently with "premium" speakers according to Etis)

Coming from my XC90, which had the optional Dolby Pro Logic set up, with TWO subwoofers in the rear compartment, the sound was FANTASTIC, even if the FM reception was crap....

Thinking about a sub to go in the rear underfloor compartment, as it's the Bass that I am missing most... Anyone done this? The fitted speakers seem to handle the power and mid/highs fine, so a nice sub should sort me out!

Mike

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...