Heated Windscreen Wiring Diagram.

Hi All.

I've almost finished my latest retrofit project.

I've had a heated windscreen fitted, installed the switch, bought the required loom & relay from VW, & attempted to install the loom.

I've run the loom under the dash & connected the fittings to both sides of the screen, & connected the relay.

Now i still have a 3way multi connecter to attach (not too sure where to) & 3 single wires that might go into the fusebox, but i'm not sure.

Problem is, i cant find a wiring diagram so i can finish plugging it all in.

Has Anyone done this before & can offer advice, or post the required diagram or pic's? please.

Thanks in advance.

I've run the loom under the dash & connected the fittings to both sides of the screen, & connected the relay.

Now i still have a 3way multi connecter to attach (not too sure where to) & 3 single wires that might go into the fusebox, but i'm not sure.

Problem is, i cant find a wiring diagram so i can finish plugging it all in.

Has Anyone done this before & can offer advice, or post the required diagram or pic's? please.

Thanks in advance.

iirc you have to plug the 3 way plug onto the back of the fuse board and the three single connectors plug into the 0 volt connector block up under the dash above the fuse board? I cant remember if these three single wires are colour code? from memory they are all black? one is for the indicator on the switch, one is the 0 volt feed for the relay and the other? I cant remember? but if they are all the same colour cable stick them all in the same coloured connection block as the other coloured cables in the area!

thinking about it? do you have a feed to the relay? if not and one of the three spare single cables is of a larger size? then it may? be the connection for the feed to the screen via the relay? this plugs directly onto a connection on the back of the board

would it be possible to post a couple of pictures of the connectors you have left? or a picture of the loom off ekta?

I've had another look this evening, & it still makes no sense to me.

Please see pic's attached.

post-2726-1159119166.jpg

Where do these go?

post-2726-1159119210.jpg

Where does this go?

I'm very confused now.

all help appreciated...

:lol: :)

dude! confused is not the word? screwed is more like it, the red three pin plug, plugs directly into a socket/connector on the back of the fuse board, the two singles go where I said up under the dash behind the light switch, into the corresponding coloured connectors and the fused connection slots into a vacent slot in the board somewhere and then picks up power from ....... to be honest it looks like you a mark 1 loom? as the plugs and the fused connector are identical to the ones I have!

But my car is a MK1.

:)

things don't seem very promising...

:)

you have a 2000 model, around 89 they started to use parts/systems that would become the mark 2, ie the fuse board, the loom..... etc

that is why I say you have a mark 2 fuse board and a mark 1 heated screen loom!

where did you plug the relay in? in a connection provided in the new loom iirc?

from this connector you should be able to suss out what goes where?

the big fused cable with the red cable is the feed for the screen heater elements, this is switched through the relay, red fused cable feed in and the two cables that go to the screen the output connection on the relay

the fused connector simply slots into a blank space in the second level and needs a supply to it plugging onto the silver connector on show, either tap into a main feed or take a fresh feed from the battery?

now I really need to see the relay connection and the connector thats on the back of the switch in the dash, with these I can possibly help you through the other connections, ie the red three pin plug and the two singles, as I'm working blind here with no diagrams or tech info so cut me some slack if I drop a stitch or two! I'm sure though that the two singles plug into the colour co-ordinated connectors up behind the dash

Hi VR6!

The loom differences makes sense now, That'll be why the relay housing does not fit into the relay board. Thanks.

Yes thats correct.

[quote: the big fused cable with the red cable is the feed for the screen heater elements, this is switched through the relay, red fused cable feed in and the two cables that go to the screen the output connection on the relay

the fused connector simply slots into a blank space in the second level and needs a supply to it plugging onto the silver connector on show, either tap into a main feed or take a fresh feed from the battery?

]

Ok, thought so.

[/quote: now I really need to see the relay connection and the connector thats on the back of the switch in the dash]

post-2726-1159389371.jpg

post-2726-1159389448.jpg

post-2726-1159389511.jpg

post-2726-1159389560.jpg

post-2726-1159389605.jpg

I still can't find anywhere for these to go, any idea what they could be for?

All help is greatly appreciated.

the singles plug into connector blocks up behind the dash, right up behind the dash about the same level as the headlight switch, the brown is the 0 Volt connection for the relay and the switch illumination

I'm struggling with the three pin red plug, without tech diagrams I'm dead in the water!

I'm trying to get hold of some drawings, but it will take a while!

sorry Dub Nutter, but I cant help you any further! due to technical reasons! :45: if some other member with a copy of the TIS would be kind enough to post you a copy of the wiring diagrams and switch/relay pin outs for the Mk1 Galaxy's heated screen then you should be able to jury rig the loom you have in order to get it working :ph34r: good luck and hope you get it sorted soon :P

Is there any kind person out there that has a haynes manual, & could scan the page with the wiring diagram for the heated windscreen relay please?

I'm struggling to understand the VW & Ford current flow diagrams.

With this last piece of info, i should be able to get everything working (fingers crossed!).

:rolleyes:

• 3 years later...

Has anyone got this working?, i decided to retrofit the screen to my alhambra as the existing screen was cracked and due the MOT, so thought aha retrofit project.

so i went to frauds and tried to order the loom, guess what it's discontinued, so off to the breakers and

Hi steve,

i need how the relay connects to the switch, as i have everything else figured out now.

yes this is for the heated front screen.

Many Thanks Phil

Edited by Phil

Right Then, i decided that since there is a lack of info on the Screen Timer Relay i would take it apart and work it out.

Below is the schematic drawing (Quickly Knocked Up) the dotted lines are connections i just dotted them so you can see what is connected and dont get the connections mixed up.

So these are my Findings, based upon the resistor and capacitor values the timer runs for approx 5 Mins.

Pin 15 of the relay is a SWITCHED 12v, switched by the ignition.

Pin 31 of the relay is Constant Ground.

Pin X is the +12v Supply to the Relay, this would be controlled by some ECU to only allow the relay to power if say the engine is running, wouldn't want to switch 50Amps on with the engine off.

Pin T is the toggle Input for the timer relay, momentarily supply +12v to power the relay and start the count down, momentarily supply +12v again and the timer resets and powers down the relay, and so the cycle continues.

Pin 30 and Pin 87 are the Relay Contacts

With this info i will now be able to finish my project at the weekend and will take pictures and supply a step by step for you all to try the conversion.

as a note Ford no longer sell the Front Screen Harness, so i got mine from the scrappys, but could be selfmade paying attention to the HEAVY duty power cables for the power and the screen connections.

post-18328-1269900619_thumb.jpg

Edited by Phil

Anyone Wanting To Retrofit the heated Front Screen as i have to my Alhambra, this is how i did it.

Firstly a overview drawing of what we are trying to achieve:

post-18328-1270248766_thumb.jpg

and now for the walkthrough for those that prefer REAL pictures

Step 1: Route the two screen connectors into place.

post-18328-1270249293_thumb.jpg

Step 2: Cut Pin 6 of the Front screen Switch and connect a wire to the switch side tail, and route the new wire to the fusebox area.

post-18328-1270249341_thumb.jpg

Step 3: Find the only black wire in the P6 connector on the fuse box and cut it, connect a wire and connect to the loom side of the cut wire and connect the new wire to the black cable in the red connector.

post-18328-1270249701_thumb.jpg

Step 4: Connect all the wires as shown and labelled in the pic.

post-18328-1270249891_thumb.jpg

Step 5: Connect the Heavy Supply Cables to a suitable constant power feed, as you can see i used 2 wires this is because the rated current for the wire i got from halfords is 27Amp, this is not powerful enough for the supply, but 2 of these wires in parrallel can handle 54Amps.

post-18328-1270250110_thumb.jpg

I hope the information i have compliled helps other prospective retrofitters.......mmmm what to do next....

Phil